General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot get crank pulley off

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Cannot get crank pulley off

I am trying to change the timing belt on my 1997 2.2L
Putting a MAC 1/2 drive Impact Wrench on the bolt it will not break.
What should I do?
I have heard that putting a breaker bar on it and using the starter can result in the end of the crank breaking off.
What should I do?
Thank you in advance.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Go to AutoZone and rent this tool to take it off. After your done you get your money back..instructions are included with the tool.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 11-28-2010, 04:27 PM

cool but what is the name of the tool???

Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure what tool he's showing there, but try a couple things first.

Short impact socket without any extensions. You'll have to remove the plastic inner fender liner. Extensions will dramatically reduce the amount of torque actually delivered to the bolt. Even a deep socket will reduce the torque.

If you've already done that, the tool you want is called a Honda crankshaft holding tool (what a clever name). It's got a big (55mm?) hex-shaped lug that fits into the hex recess in the pulley. You hold that to work against your breaker bar & socket.

DO NOT use the starter motor. That works on a lot of cars, but Honda F-series engines spin the wrong way. You'll be tightening the bolt.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM

i just did the timing on my 95 i just put a screwdriver in the flywheel to stop it from turning and then used a breaker bar to break the crankshaft bolt loose i was able to jam it in there but u might need someone to hold the screwdriver for you

Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Not sure what tool he's showing there, but try a couple things first.

Short impact socket without any extensions. You'll have to remove the plastic inner fender liner. Extensions will dramatically reduce the amount of torque actually delivered to the bolt. Even a deep socket will reduce the torque.

If you've already done that, the tool you want is called a Honda crankshaft holding tool (what a clever name). It's got a big (55mm?) hex-shaped lug that fits into the hex recess in the pulley. You hold that to work against your breaker bar & socket.

DO NOT use the starter motor. That works on a lot of cars, but Honda F-series engines spin the wrong way. You'll be tightening the bolt.
Here's a Helping Picture for you!
WheelBrokerANG

Old 11-29-2010, 05:25 PM

I am going to try again this weekend.
I will try a breaker bar

Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crispin
I will try a breaker bar
... with a LONG pipe.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Here's a Helping Picture for you!
WheelBrokerANG
The picture looks familiar to me when I didn't have a compressed air or mo-jo impact wrench, except one thing. Or, may be two things. I had chassis on jack stands and used floor jack to support the extension/breaker bar assembly while the work is conducted.

Make sure to use a 1/2" breaker bar from a store where offers life time warranty.

Good luck with your car,,,

Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, good catch. I would NOT do that work with the car supported on a hydraulic jack. Blood makes such a mess on the underside of the car...

You'll be pulling pretty hard on that breaker bar, so support the car VERY solid. Then put a jack under the knuckle of the breaker bar, so you just get twisting force transmitted to the pulley-bolt.

Quick Reply: Cannot get crank pulley off