General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot use blinkers but Dash and Outsides work with Hazards

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Default Cannot use blinkers but Dash and Outsides work with Hazards

OK. First off I am not a car guy at all so my explanation might be a little..weird. Bare with me please.

I so far have replaced the turn signal relay, 7.5 fuse, and the turn signal switch in the steering column. I still do not get confirmation of turn signals on the dash and the lights outside do not activate. If I hit the hazards though, they activate on the dash as well as outside. The fuse is new, the relay was replaced about 6 months ago and the switch is one I pulled off a scrap but it looks fine and the contacts connect and click.

Any help would be appreciated. I will provide as much extra info as you need if I can when asked.

Thank you.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

If the hazard lights work, then the turn signal/hazard relay is ok.

There is a fuse for the turn signal and a fuse for the hazard lights. Make sure that the turn signal fuse is ok. I don't have a shop manual in front of me right now, so take a look in the owner's manual. Or the fuses are labeled on the covers of the fuse boxes (there is one in the engine bay and one under the driver's dash).

Do you have a voltmeter?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM

I don't have a volt meter. I replaced the 7.5 fuse that the small fuse box cover said on the driver's side panel inside by the foot rest.

I might be able to borrow a meter. what would i need to check?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

The fuse you want to check is the #1 fuse in the box under the dash. It is a 10 amp fuse and is in the bottom row of fuses. It should be closest to the door.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 PM

I replaced that fuse right now and it still does not work. The fuse that I pulled was just fine as well and the one I put in was a brand new one.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Volt meters are pretty inexpensive and usually less than $20 at stores like walmart. You don't need something fancy. For car work, you can use a meter that can read voltage and resistance.

If I had to guess, I would say the hazard switch is the problem. It is kind of common. You may be able to remove the hazard switch and take it apart to clean the contacts inside. I never tried to do this on a hazard switch.

For electrical testing: With a volt meter, you can remove the turn signal/hazard relay. There would be three pins in the fuse box. One pin will have 12V when the hazard switch is off and the key in the II position. Use a bare metal bolt for your ground. The other two pins should have no voltage.

When the hazard switch is turned on, another pin should have 12V to ground.

The third pin is the ground by process of elimination.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Ok I was looking through the web and found someone else with the same problem and they were told to check the hazard switch as well. I can't however find how to remove it or find a replacement part.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a diagram of the 91. The switch is number 4. If you look at the switch, there should be a notch under the switch that you can use a pocket screwdriver to pry it out.

The switch is expensive through the dealership. I would check ebay. If you have a U-Pull-It junk yard nearby, you should be able to find one.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM

We got a switch from the pick and pull but I still have no turn signals.. bummers

Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Did you get a hazard switch from the pick and pull?

Quick Reply: Cannot use blinkers but Dash and Outsides work with Hazards