General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't detach plug from headlight bulb!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Default Can't detach plug from headlight bulb!!!!

Hi everyone,
I have a 2003 Honda Accord LX and I'm trying to change my passenger side low beams. Im wanting to detach the plug from the bulb but I CANT!!! Im pressing down on some clip that I think releases the plug but when I push down on the plug it simply wont detach...Im pushing it down rather hard too. Am I doing it wrong or is there a trick to releasing it? Thanks in Advance.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Might need to use a flat screwdriver to help "push" the connector off....they seem to get stuck.....I stole this pic from Redbull-1, a member on here.

Attached Thumbnails Can't detach plug from headlight bulb!!!!-headlight%2520bulb.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM

@Poorman- thanks for the image & the screwdriver tip but it's still not coming off. No way I'm going to a mechanic to tell him I can't change out my headlight bulb...i rather drive around with it being burned out hahaha. It seems as if I'm not even loosening it so I feel lile I'm not doingit right. I'll have to just keep @ it. Thanks again.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sometimes they can be very difficult. Suggest spraying a liberal amount of wd40 and allowing to soak while wiggling the connection. A very small screwdriver can sometimes be inserted to force the connection latch apart, allowing you to concentrate on wiggling/pulling to release.

I've also used a larger screwdriver inserted between facing connector parts, twisted slightly, to "spread" the connection slightly on one side while depressing the release tab. Swapping from side to side, this spreading can force the connector apart.

good luck

Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Default PB Blaster and A wrench

I was having the same issue. The bulb was really tight and I could barely move it. What worked for me was spraying it with some Pb blaster. Waiting a couple minutes and then gently moving it counterclockwise with a 3/4 wrench. Finally, I took out the two screws on each side. This could be a little tricky but If you have a small screwdriver this would be ideal. After that, it came right off. Be patient and follow these steps and I am sure you will have it off in no time.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
I stole this pic from Redbull-1, a member on here.
You know what's funny? I was following those same instructions (out of the owners manual) for my wife's 2000 Accord. All that got was the high beam out, when I needed the low beam out for replacement. Turned out you don't have to remove anything to access the low beam.

OP, try and twist the bulb half of the plug assembly out of the light assembly, then seperate the wiring from the bulb. You'll have room to get your hands on it, and be able to see what you're doing.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 02-25-2017 at 12:14 AM.