General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car broke, possible tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Default Car broke, possible tranny

92 accord, auto. Accelerating on the H-way when car jerked then when drepressing the pedel only rpms went up but no forward progress. coasted off the hway and the car would idle forward but nothing but rpms when pushing the pedel idledto a parking spot shut it off, now it wont start only the whine of the starter. put the car in all gears and am able to push it in all gears excluding park. Any ideas?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Default RE: Car broke, possible tranny

Axle?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:04 PM

I agree... axle possibly... if the axle "slipped out" or stripped then the car would divert all the power to the spinning side and would fail to move forward, my guess would be that the "jerk" you felt was a joint or something "catching" and that snapped it and caused the subsequent failure to move. put the car in park or in gear and jack up the front of it then try spinning both sides, if on side spins then it's probably an axle problem of some sort...

Old 01-22-2007, 06:23 PM

axle huh. I searcharound trying to figure out what it was. The TCU sounded kind of right,the "limp mode" sounded similar. After the jerk and slow down the car did idle forward. Also day before a clattering sound started. Ill keep searchin. I couldn't find anything with the TCU that would relate to the engine not turning over?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 PM

Have you checked your oil/coolant? if you had a clattering noise it could be a number of things make sure that your tranny fluid doesn't look/smell burnt and that you have oil in the engine, you may want to do a compression test, how old is your timing belt? perhaps pulling the upper cover and making sure nothing snapped in there would help... could be a broken belt

Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 PM

checked the oil/coolent/tranny fluid although engine was not running/warmed up all at the right level and didn't appear burned or anything in the fluid, looked clean. Is there a fuel cutoff associated to the TCU? or do you think I'm goin in the wrong direction with the TCU

Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I think you are heading down the wrong path chasing after the TCU;
The first thing would be to check the axles as has been suggested; especially since you have decided to tell the rest of the story about the 'clattering' noise.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 PM

ok i'll head out. So what i'm lookin for is if I spin the front tire they both should spin, if not possible axle prob?

Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 PM

well i jacked up the front end, both tires off the ground and rotated each tire and each tire rotated with ease and no weird sounds.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 PM

I read one post that said you could tell if the timing belt broke by taking off the oil cap and look in with a flashlight and if nothing moves while someone trys to start then go chance its broke. That sound right? Can't figure out why it won't start

Quick Reply: Car broke, possible tranny