General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car is chocking

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Default car is chocking

my car is driving me nuts, Here is the deal my car was fine got up this morning and it started but drove horrible. It is acting like it constantly wants to die. Missing badly and rough. I thought it was bad gas and put seafoam in the tank, that didn't help. I also thought the plugs were fouled, replaced them, that didn't help. Is there a way to check the rotor/distrib? Oh I also replaced the pvc valve. As I am on a very limited budget what should I do? At idle it goes into the 500 range when before it was around 900. it is dipping or boggin down when given gas then it starts to go. Hopefully Dessert can help me on this one.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Default RE: car is chocking

for starters remove that idle adjustment screw and clean it, then clean the throttle body, replace the screw and adjust the idle to the 750-900 rpm range that alone will make a difference, then remove the distributor cap (just loosen the screws and pop it off, no need to remove the wires) inspect the points that are inside of it, make sure they are still intact/in place and not worn down to much, look at the rotor and make sure it's not horribly blackened or anything, not melted etc, inspect all the hoses in the car to see if there is a vacuum leak somewhere and then let us know the status.... On the outside it could be a timing issue but highly doutfull, sounds like bad fuel or something in the fuel fouled up the throttle body and idle adjustments, after doing that cleaning it wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter either

Old 10-18-2006, 08:19 PM

Thank you very much Sir, I am a retard at some parts of this car but about a week ago I did read the forum somewhere that said to clean out the throttle body with carb cleaner, I removed the air feed and shot it in there while having the gas down a bit. Is that what you mean by cleaning it? Also, on the screw issue you are talking about the idle screw correct? on the left of the throttle body? (looking head on at the car, driver on the rightside screw on passenger side toward rear of engine compartment) Also, do I need to disengage the electrical gismo on top to set the idle? Going outside to look at the distrib and rotor now.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:44 PM

What year/make? If you put that info in your signature it helps a lot.... assuming you have a 94-97 model here's the procedure

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/1A7DCB629A7549BF99B16EA2F4EF0FC1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 PM

ok back from that. the distrib looks fine as does the rotor. They were replaced about a year ago and still look pretty new. I cleaned out the screw and yes it was dirty. I tried to readjust the idle but with the screw backed out almost all the way I don't really see a difference. BTW, there are no check engine lights on. i also wondered about the map/mas whatever sensor there on top of the throttle body. The fuel filter would take me all day to do, I suck on this one. I tried last time but couldn't figure out a easy way to do it, (this is a 94 accord lx) so I sent it to a mech, who charged my cc about 100 when I supplied the part.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Sir, sorry about that you must have looked at my previous posts in order to figure out the year. Once again sorry. I can see what I was doing wrong with the idle I just turned the screw. I didn't know about the two wire disconnect and the fuse. Is that why it didn't change? and btw, if i give it a good bit of gas the rpms up to say 4,500k and let off it will almost die it goes to like 250. I really need to figure this out.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:07 PM

clean that screw and set it to start with.... make sure you don't have a vacuum leak anywhere either...

Old 10-18-2006, 09:20 PM

i cleaned the screw and set the idle, i can't find any vacuum leaks either..............although not sure what one would look/sound like. I am guessing a sucking sound, which after playing with the tubes I don't see/hear anything. Not sure what to do.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 PM

try cleaning the EGR valve too... if you had a vacuum leak you'd most likely hear a noise or just look at the rubber tubing and make sure it isnt' cracked or broken...

Old 10-18-2006, 09:52 PM

i feel almost too stupid, where is the egr valve?

Quick Reply: car is chocking