General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car decelerate too fast when take foot off accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:32 AM
feversham
Unregistered
Default Car decelerate too fast when take foot off accelerator

Help! I have a new 2008 Accord Sedan V6 Automatic that's only 2 weeks old, 800km mileage. I got a Compustar remote starter/alarm Pro 2WFM-ASinstalled last week. Ever since this was installed, I started to notice some issues with deceleration when i take my foot off the accecelerator. It's particularly noticeable when i'm driving at ~30-60km/h. As soon as i take my foot off the accecelerator, the car immediately decelerates (without my foot on the brake) faster than normal coasting. ie. in a flat road condition, when take foot off accelerator at 60km/h, it'd decelerate to ~40km/h in about 5 seconds. And seems like after it has decelerated for ~5 seconds, than it starts to truly coasts without excessive deceleration. These symptoms repeats when i accelerates again and let go of accelerator. Other than this problem, everything else seems normal. What could be wrong with the car? could this be caused by the remote starter/alarm installation (the installer seem reputable as he is well reviewed in various forums), or are these symptoms perfectly normal in 2008 accords that i failed to notice prior to remote starter installation? Thanks all in advance!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Car decelerate too fast when take foot off accelerator

I don't really see how your remote system could have anything to do with accelleration, unless SOMEHOW it's confusing the ECU (which I still don't see possible as it SHOULD be a separate system).

My car's been in the shop for over 2 months now (loooooooooooong story) so I haven't driven it in quite some time, so I can't comment on the deceleration but that does seem to be a rather rapid deceleration.

I suggest you take it to the dealer you bought it from and show them your points. Does it feel sluggish at idle coast? I wonder if something is wrong with a caliper or something? I'm just throwing things out there, so don't get worked up yet! Plus you're under warranty and should be able to get everything fixed without a hitch.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:40 PM

take it in but don't mention the remote start. road test with a tech to show him what you mean. he will then road test another 08 and verifiy if it's abnormal or if your crazy. "

Old 01-01-2008, 03:39 PM

perhaps the transmission is staying isnt upshifting correctly thus more engine braking?

Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 AM

the auto on my 07 seemed to engine break a little bit and not coast until some certain point. could be the same issue.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 AM

As HondaTech said, take it back to the dealer. Make the tech let you ride in another 08 V6with him to verify it does the same thing. Don't just take his word for it.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 AM

My 07 Accord V6 AT also decelerates pretty fast when taking the foot off the accelerator. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the car, but I figure it's normal. All my other non-Honda cars coast pretty easily when my foot is off the accelerator, but not the Honda. On level road, you can really feel the transmission shifting down through each gear and causing the car to slow pretty quick. It almost feels like a light foot on the brake. Sometimes if I time it right, I barely need to use the brake on congested stop-and-go highway because the car slows down so fast.

An interesting thing I noticed is that if I'm in D3, the car coasts for a while longer ... maybe because it doesn't have to shift down from other gears to third (since D3 goes up to third gear at most).

Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Someautomatic trannys are programmed to 'learn' the driver's behavior. This includes locking the TC or even downshifting when you lift the gas pedal. This used to be done only on pricey cars, but I wouldn't be toosurprised if Honda's doing it these days.