General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car not starting..electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 08:58 PM
dude9571
Unregistered
Default Car not starting..electrical problem...

I just got a '94 Accord LX sedan and it has an issue: it doesn't want to start. It has sitting for well over a year and that drained and killed the battery completely, so I picked a new one up today and threw it in. Now, where the problem comes in:

I'm not sure where the issue is: NOTHING, and I mean, NOTHING electrical works BUT hazards. Interior/door lights, radio, turn signals, nope. Nothing but the hazards.

I've checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes and all are good.

It also has a Viper alarm installed and thought the engine immobilizer might be kicking in. I played with the remote and valet/alarm disable button..nothing turns it off. The alarm keeps going off. So, I disconnected the alarm brain completely from underneath the steering column and pulled out the car's battery for a few minutes to force the ecu to reset.

Again, the same problem with only hazards working. I'm out of ideas...little help?

Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Car not starting..electrical problem...

chk to make sure you get voltage at the starter wire,, you should have battery voltage,, if you do, hook up a wire to the starter solenoid and touch the positive battey cable it should crank,, if it does , you got wiring issues, possible main fuse blown, possible ignition switch, possible alarm system screwing things up..

Old 02-10-2006, 12:37 AM
dude9571
Unregistered

Ah, also forgot to add the ecu doesn't even come on when the key is in the ignition on the 2nd turn. Nothing in the instrument panel lights up and the little hidden speaker never does the pre-start beeps or beeps while the keys are in the ignition.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:35 AM

chk the battery cables make sure they are tight and clean, chk the main fuses in the underdash fuse box

Old 02-10-2006, 02:49 PM

i think its your alarm. put a new battery in the remote. hook everything you took off back up. you have to get that alarm to turn off or your car i snever going to start.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:19 PM
dude9571
Unregistered

I got it fixed...it was the battery fuse, but the alarm is shot. All the fuses were good before I put the new battery in, I guess it blew when I put the new one in.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:17 AM

glad it was an easy fix....