General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Report = My car was in accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Default Car Report = My car was in accident

I purchased my 2004 Accord in Sept. 06. My friend is a tech at a Honda Dealer, and he always services my car. Idid my 15,000 service this past weekend and he informed me that my front bumper didn't have the serial # that new cars have, which usually indicate that the bumper is not original and possibly had been in an accident. The car drives awesome, but i had to ck with carfax to see what they had to report. Surely, the report indicated that my car was in a previous accident 4/06.

What to do?
-write a letter to honda? they should at least inform the buyer of things like this. Or because it passed the 23 point inspection, everything is fine.

-just enjoy my car, since nothing is wrong with it?

Would like to hear what others have to say.
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Car Report = My car was in accident

I assume this was a CPO car from Honda? I am not sure of their procedure, but I do know that when BMW does their CPO, they allow for repaint and / or replacement of bumpers....but that is it.

Are there any other obvious replacement parts?
Did you specifically ask the dealer if it was in a wreck or if everythign was original?

Old 07-26-2007, 01:10 PM

I didn't ask if anything was original. This was my second purchase, I have things to learn. Last month, my battery died and that wasn't original either. I did call the dealer about the batteryand they said that as long as the car passed the inspection, it didn'tnecessarily need an original battery. If the car passes at time of inspectionit is then a certified used HONDAcar.

I just wonder if there are any laws that govern this type of deals. Are they required to let you know of these incidents. Or, as long as it passes inpection, the car is good to go.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM

i think you are SOL. if you didnt specifically ask, they didnt have to specifcally tell you.

just enjoy the car. sh*t happens.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 PM

Yeah, just what I thought. Thanks

I have no complaints on the car. I drives awesome. I would have never known if I wasn't told so.

What is CPO?

Old 07-26-2007, 01:51 PM

certified pre owned

Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 PM

Unless the vehicle failed inspection at some point or was a total loss vehicle that was subsequently restored, there is no obligation to report to you that the vehicle was in an accident.

There are some jurisdictions that require reporting of accidents that cost over $5,000 of damage, but most don't have this requirement.

If the inspection was done properly then there should be no problem. If there is any major damage to the car that was unreported to you (e.g. frame damage) then you have the right to void the sale due to misrepresentation or nondisclosure.

A repaired bumper doesn't mean much. The car could have been in a very minor parking lot collision and the bumper alone may have been replaced. Sometimes even brand new vehicles that have never been sold previously may have needed minor repairs due to shipping damage or subsequently discovered factory defects.

Jim