General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car running rough on startup then ok

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Default car running rough on startup then ok

hey guys i need some help, when i start my car, it runs at low idle like 200rpms and it feels rough, then after about 10 seconds it goes up to around 700rpms ( which is normal for my car when at operating temp) and runs like it should, then i never have a problem again until i go to start it, it runs fine after 10 seconds, anyways ... this just started in the last couple days, oh and sometimes it has to turn over more than normal before finally starting, any ideas or suggestions??

this is on a 96 lx 2.2 5 speed, non-vtec

Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Default RE: car running rough on startup then ok

can someone please give me some help or direction on this, thanks

Old 05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
mbogosia
Unregistered

I have been looking into a few problems of my own and I believe our cars have a fast idle control valve. They also have a Idle Air Control Valve. These can become clogged and cause symtoms like you mentioined. So you need to do some searching and find info on you FICV and your IACV. I just cleaned mine and it seemed to help.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
mbogosia
Unregistered

Here is a good link. http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1844067&page=1

Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Your 96 has two air control valves, a fast idle thermo valve, and an idle air control valve. The FITV is on the bottom of the throttle body, and the IAC is on the back of the throttle body mounted on the resonance chamber.
If you take off the air intake tube, there should be two holes on the inside of the throttle body that allow air to bypass the throttle plate. The top on goes to the IAC and the bottom one goes to the FITV.

I would start the car with the intake tube off, and spray throttle body cleaner into each port. The cleaner will get pulled with the air through the IAC or the FITV and clean it out. Try not to drench it, because the car will stall due to lack of air to the engine.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would lean more towards a problem with the idle air control valve. Logically, since the FITV is coolant temperature controlled, it shouldn't be causing the problem since he lives in a warm climate and the temperature change in the coolant after 10 seconds is minimal and wouldn't cause the plunger to open that much. Needless to say, might as well clean both of them while you're at it.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Administrator

I agree with Finch on that Idle Air Control Valve..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-27-2008, 02:40 AM

thanks guys, i will spray that in there in the morning and update with how it goes, thanks agian

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM

hey i tried that, and it didn't seem to have much of an effect on it, it still does it, maybe not quite as much but it still does, any new suggestions?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 PM

ok, it's getting worse now,it has to turn over for maybe 5 seconds before it will finally start, when it does it's sputters around 200 or less rpms for about 10 secs or until i hit the gas, then it runs perfectly fine, i am stumped please help

Quick Reply: car running rough on startup then ok