General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car shimmys when I brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car shimmys when I brake

ORIGINAL: maro

... That tire, however, seems a bit flater than the rest...
First, get all your tires inflated properly. Like right NOW! That'll just confuse things, send you on a wild-goose chase. Low pressure can cause it to pull even when alignment is correct.

In fact, if you put ona few thousand miles with bad alignment, that can cause funny wear patterns. Then when you get it aligned properly, the funny wear patternitselfwill cause it to pull.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:55 PM

Alrighty, I'll get that tire, in fact all tires up to par. Then see. I'll let ya'll know what happens.

I'm becoming very addicted to reading this site. I like it. Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:05 PM

keep us informed! Lots of great stuff on here isn't there....

Old 12-20-2006, 11:59 PM

First: Get the screw removed and tire plugged. All tires should be at recommended pressure.

Are tires all the same size/brand? This can cause a problem.

Improper installation of the wheels, (over torquing the first wheel stud before snugging the other three), can cause wobble.

Drive the vehicle. Still doing it? Rotate the tiresAND check the disc brake pads - piston side and slider side. IF ONE pad, on one wheel, is is worn more than the other, than the caliper is not operating correctly.If a piston pad is worn then the piston is sticking in the caliper. If the slider pad is worn more than the slider is hanging up, (dirty/corroded).

If pads look O.K., check rotors for warp, (lateral run-out) or "hot spots", (tempered spots on the rotor that do not wear as fast as the rest of the rotor). Usually aparts store such as O'reilly will turn the rotors for $10/15 ea carry in.

There are other causes such as improperly installed tires, (bead not propertly seated on the rim). One tire with the tread separating from the casing will also cause wobble while braking or not.

If the wobble is not much different after the axle replacement then is probably not the new axles.

There is more but this will keep you busy.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:14 PM

I filled the tires to the same pressure. It seems it's an off and on thing when I'm riding slow. Sometemes I feel it, sometimes I don't. When I apply the brakes at 30 - 40 mpg I get the slight wheel shake, but then it stops right away. It looks like my tires are worn and the sides are starting to crack. They however did pass inspection... barely. It seems like there are way too many variables for this issue, so a good starting point might just be new tires. I need to replace the whole lot. But that's bucks. So until then, SHimmy Shimmy ya'll. FYI - ANy normal human wouldn't notice a thing. I didn't even notice at first until I spent some time driving her. the shaking is slight, but I'm being a bit over protective.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:08 PM

when you start in for new tires falken ziex are great and fairly cheap... like $100-$125 for 4....

Old 12-21-2006, 02:12 PM

Really. That sounds reasonable!! I'm going to google them. Thanks

Old 12-22-2006, 06:18 PM

whatever you do...DONOT get sears guardsman or anything else bridgestone/firestone makes...i just had to replace an entire set of tires because of faulty tire manufacturing.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go to out DIY section and read about steering wheel wobble , there is a write up on the possible causes

Old 12-26-2006, 01:07 PM

I'm rediagnosing this ..AGAIN. I got to drive it long distance this weekend. (Hope everyone had a nice holiday). It definitely is rocking when I hit the brakes going between 40 and 60 MPH. I guess it's the rotors. IT still does wobble a tiny bit while drive at 15MPH or below, but it the brakig at high speeds that is my concern. I will go and take a peek at the DIY. For some reason I don;t remember seeing that previously

thanks!!

Quick Reply: Car shimmys when I brake