General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shuts-down while driving - added car details! (oops!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Default Car shuts-down while driving - added car details! (oops!)

Ok - so let me preface this with what I already know before the usual suspects are identified, i.e. ignition switch, ignitor and coil.

Some facts:
1. Over the past 2 weeks, this has happened 4 times. I will be driving around, usually slowing toward a light, making a turn etc. and if I remember correctly, I usually am NOT apply throttle at the time, and the car is either in neutral or it is in gear but i have the clutch pressed. All of a sudden, without warning, the car dies - it isn't a sputter, or hesistation, just like someone flipped a switch.

2. This has not happened at any speed (i.e. on the highway or cruising local roads)

3. The car will start immediately - even while still rolling from when it shut down - i just press the clutch (if it was not already pressed) and turn the key.

4. When the car "dies" the dash indicators come on (so I think this rules out the ignition switch)

5. There are no driveability issues - no hesitation at speed, etc.

My thoughts:
Although this could be the ignitor (which is what my searches have led me to believe is a common culprit), I think this is more of an idle air issue. Could it be a sticky IACV?

Question: When I am NOT applying throttle - even while coasting, let's say - does all the air for the engine pass through the IACV? There are two scenarios here -

1. the engine speed is high - becuase i'm still in gear and clutch is not pressed - in that case, is all the air passing through the IACV as well?
2. the engine speed is at the "idle" value - since either i'm in neutral or I'm gear but the clutch is pressed. In this case - the air into the intake is passing through the IACV right?

I have no CEL light and no stored codes.

I've tried umpteen times to make the car stall by toggling the AC etc. while idling, but the idle blips as corrects as expected.

Thoughts?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car shuts-down while driving

Car type? Im not sure, but some years/versions might have a bumped-up idle based on road-speed.

When throttle is closed, its not completely airtight. Very little (but not zero) air comes thru there.Then theres the idleair screw. Correctly adjusted, the idle air screw gives a 500rpm idle when the IACV is unplugged.

Id expect a flaky IACV would not give a sudden complete shutdown. Especially if the rpm had already been stable at idle (while coasting).

Old 07-07-2008, 01:53 PM

02 Accord EX 4cyl 5spd - 125k on body/70k on motor

Sorry forgot to add that last time - in some forums the Sig is included automatically I need to go check my profile settings again.

I'll check the idle with the IACV unplugged... the problem is so infrequent... the last time it happened, I was sitting at a light, just idling and i turned OFF the air and the car died... but it started up right away and it mostly drives like there is nothing wrong at all.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Im usually too lazy to remember who has what car. Now I remember youve been asking about cooling systems...

Air bubbles travelling thru the IACV can upset it. Have you bled out all the air from the bleed valve on the T-stat housing?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Im usually too lazy to remember who has what car. Now I remember youve been asking about cooling systems...

Air bubbles travelling thru the IACV can upset it. Have you bled out all the air from the bleed valve on the T-stat housing?
Yep - that's me

No I have not - I didn't realize it even existed. My previous vehicle didn't have a bleeder - so I never have used one. How do I use it - just unscrew it and add coolant until it starts coming out of the bleeder?

Note: this stalling issue has not started since I did that thermostat work... (it was present before).

I don't mind spending the money to replace the ignitor and coil and ignition switch (and cap/rotor) - but I don't like to throw parts at a car without really trying to rationalize my diagnosis. And plus - this problem is so infrequent - i.e. it hasn't happened at all since Saturday - that I may change a part and not even know if it has helped.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it was just an idea... Squeeze the radiator hoses when the engine is cold. Listen for sloshing sounds to see if theres air inside.
If you need to, the bleed valve is #13 on the picture over at that other thread. Crack it open to let air out.

Im the same way about diagnosing, but when something happens only occasionally its a PITA.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Well, it was just an idea...
Oh ya -definitely - I didn't mean to sound ungrateful I'm definitely going to try that out. I was just adding that info about the problem existing prior to my cooling system work - just to remove any cause and effect that might be inferred.

Squeeze the radiator hoses when the engine is cold. Listen for sloshing sounds to see if theres air inside.
If you need to, the bleed valve is #13 on the picture over at that other thread. Crack it open to let air out.

Im the same way about diagnosing, but when something happens only occasionally its a PITA.
Ya - this is so rare and it hasn't happened yet, in a situation where I've felt "oh yikes!" - when that happens, you can bet I'll be throwing parts at it

I'll keep you all updated with anything new I find once i try bleed the system - I may not get to it tonight...

Keep the thoughts coming. Thanks for the help so far

Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Just wondering if there was a follow up resolution on this topic. I realize it is pretty old, but I am thinking I may have a similar issue. I do not have a CEL either, but I have noticed two things. 1) when I start the car warm it will initially rev then drop to say 300 rpm, then right itself. 2) While driving on at least a half dozen occasions while slowing for a stop the engine has quit. It has always started right back up. 4cyl, 5spd. 160k miles.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

What have you done to date to resolve the issue?

Tune up items are up to date, ect.....

Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Default just the basics

Thanks for the quick response. I purchased the car 3kmi ago. So far I have done spark plugs (which really needed it) and a valve adjustment.
-Shoe

Quick Reply: Car shuts-down while driving - added car details! (oops!)