General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car stalling at idle & on highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Default Car stalling at idle & on highway

So I was sitting at the intersection earlier today, I accelerated and 5 seconds later I hear a really weird WOOSH come from the engine. Later it did this again when I slowed down in traffic and after I had to accelerate.

Any idea?

Codes read: PO420 (Which has been there for years) also P0740 torque converter, which I've had in the past, I erase it and it seems to come back every 6 months or later.

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-15-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Updated issue
Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds are difficult to figure out over the internet...

Transmission sound? How's the transmission fluid?

Did it happen only when you let off the accelerator? Vacuum leak at/around the brake vacuum booster?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Ok. More information to go on.

At low idle sometimes the engine dies while approaching a stop sign, like someone turned off the car. This has happened a couple times in the last year.

More so, fearing a stuck injector or something I put some sea foam in my oil last week. I noticed when I was driving that sometimes when my foot was steady on the accelerator on a level plane or going downhill the rpm's would kick up. Now it switched from the RPM"s dropping 500 or so and on the highway home my tachometer went down to 0 RPM's a three times and back up to idle at 1700 RPM's within like 6 seconds. This is definitely troublesome. Looks like the car wants to die.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Checked the codes at parts store earlier. Now there's a P0760 Code Trans Range/circuit something and also a new P0430 catalyst below efficiency in addition to the P0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1.

Sure hope my car isn't done for. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. I could try to take a video with my cellphone if you guys think that'd be useful.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Sounds are difficult to figure out over the internet...

Transmission sound? How's the transmission fluid?

Did it happen only when you let off the accelerator? Vacuum leak at/around the brake vacuum booster?
Thanks for responding to my post. I did my best to spray all the vacuum hoses and didn't find any leak.

Looked at the spark plugs and there was oil in all the spark plug wells. My shop did head gasket with head gasket set job 2 summers ago, so I guess it must be blow by?

Is it safe to run with oil in the wells? If I drain it regularly can I extend the life? There was oil on all four spark plugs and serious oil in the far left spark plug well. Probably shouldn't have put anything in the oil.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Oil in the sparkplug wells is probably above the threads of the spark plugs? If so, it's a leaking valve cover gasket. Much less serious than the headgasket or blowby.

The oil can degrade the rubber insulation of the sparkplug wires. Or maybe they're still OK if you clean them with soap & hot water??

Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Oil in the sparkplug wells is probably above the threads of the spark plugs? If so, it's a leaking valve cover gasket. Much less serious than the headgasket or blowby.

The oil can degrade the rubber insulation of the sparkplug wires. Or maybe they're still OK if you clean them with soap & hot water??
Thanks, I'll make sure to drain the oil. Can you change title of the thread to Car stalling at idle & highway? That's core issue.

I turned my car onto I for accessories. Should I hear a click? I'm not hearing a clicking noise. I'm also going to check for spark once I get spark plug tester and also check compression today and report back with numbers.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

The noticeable "click" comes when you turn the key to II "ON". That's where all the engine idiot-lights come on. That sound is the main fuel relay closing. After 2 seconds it clicks again as the main relay opens.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 PM

The noticeable "click" comes when you turn the key to II "ON". That's where all the engine idiot-lights come on. That sound is the main fuel relay closing. After 2 seconds it clicks again as the main relay opens.
Thanks, turned on earlier and never heard a click. I removed the main fuel relay (surprisingly easy to do) and I'm going to test the pins for continuity and will report back.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see p0430 or p0760 in the 96 shop manual. I would clear all codes by pulling the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box. Then drive until you have problems and retest. If those codes return, then you may have a fault with your PCM.

The P0740 is for the lockup control system which seems to be an internal hydraulic fault. You may want to check your transmission fluid and possibly change it. Only use Honda ATF.

Quick Reply: Car stalling at idle & on highway