General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car Turns over, Has spark, and Fuel pressure at fuel rail, BUT NO START

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Default Car Turns over, Has spark, and Fuel pressure at fuel rail, BUT NO START

I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX 4 Cyl Vtec... The problem is that the vehicle turns over very easily and so I checked to see if it had spark from the spark plug wire.
It does!
Next I loosened the fuel line from the fuel rail, just to see if fuel was there, turned the key.
Lots of fuel spayed out!

I checked the spark plugs, and the appeared to be shot.
I replaced spark Plugs!

I cannot get the car to start... Any suggestions?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Concerned with "vehicle turns over very easily".....is the timing belt broke?

Pull the upper cover fro the t-belt...is the belt on. Or pull the dist cap and try to start the car, does the dist rotor spin?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 PM

I am told that the Timing belt has been replaced... Also I would assume that there would be no spark out of the spark plug wires when turning over unless the timing belt was good and the distributor turning would indicate that the timing belt was good as well...correct?

Since my original post I have changed the Wires, Cap and Rotor. I have also replaced the Main Relay... Still does not start.

Is it possible that the Coil may not be putting out enough spark to start the engine? YES!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

That is possible.

Before you start throwing more parts at the car, you should do some diagnostics.

Have you checked for engine codes? See the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to check codes.

Do you have a timing light? Just want you to verify that you have a spark problem.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:35 PM

OK... I just checked for engine codes as instructed in the DIY thread... I am concerned that the engine light never blinked... But the D4 light did... If I was reading it correctly (pretty sure I was, cause I did it 4 times) I saw 1 long and 8 short D4 Blinks... I would think that due to what the thread states D4 is usually related to the Transmission "Note: In my experiences, if it is a transmission problem on an automatic transmission,
the D4 on the dash will blink."
... Not sure what to do now!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

how long of a pause was between the long (10) and short (8) blinks? I'm not sure if you have two codes (10, 8) or a code 18.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Maybe I mis-worded it... I had a fast/short (1) Blink and then a long pause and then eight short/fast blinks.

I am confused though... Would a transmission issue not allow the engine to start?

Something I should have said from the start is that this vehicle had been sitting in a guys garage since 2005, and he said he drove it into the garage. The reason he parked it was because he had bought a new car.

I was visiting with a friend that is somewhat of a mechanic, and when I explained to him that the engine turns over very easily he told me that the compression may be low due to sitting for so long and the rings need to be lubricated. He suggested adding approx a table spoon of Oil into each cylinder and let it sit.

Does that seem like a reasonable thing to do. I wouldn't know how exactly to check the compression.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the next best thing to try. Pull the spark plugs and add a bit of oil to each. Use the crankshaft bolt (19mm ?) to spin the engine-proper direction- a few times.
You can rent or borrow a comp tester. It basically screws into the sparkplug hole and when you try to start the car is will measure the comp inside the cyl.

If it has been sitting that long, are you sure the gas is good? Might try spraying carb cleaner or something in the tb-open the butterfly so you can get it into the intake.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you have a code 1 and a code 8. Those codes are for the lockup and shift solenoids. I would take a look at the electrical connectors for any damage or loose/dirty connections.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

My question would be what was the scenario surrounding the car not starting? Did it run before and then one day it just didn't start? Or had some other work been done on it recently?

Quick Reply: Car Turns over, Has spark, and Fuel pressure at fuel rail, BUT NO START