General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Default Car will not start

Hello all I just got a 91 accord and was out running around when it would not start after running fine before. I had just put some new fuses in right before. They were the side mirror and radio if I remember right. I have already replaced the Main relay, got a new battery and cleaned all the hook ups. I don't want to just start throwing money at it hoping to fix it, so any help would be great.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car will not start

Describe what happens when it doesn't start. Does the starter turn the engine?

Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
xbox1986
Unregistered

first off, its very important to include your transmission in your question.
if its a manual you might beable to start it with the clutch by rolling it forward and letting off the clutch at the right speed. if its auto there can be a variety of problems
1. bad starter motor
2. bad starter solinoid (spelling?)
3. timing belt snapped or worn
4. alternator not charging battery
5. alternator belt snapped worn or needing adjustment
6. spark plugs
7. spark plug cables
8. battery cables may not be making full contact (try tightening the bolts on the battery clamps)

my manager has an old accord to and his starter had went out on him so honestly that would be the first thing to check
also describe what happens when you turn the key

does it make a harsh spinning sound
is it silent
does it crank and then spin
does then engine ALMOST start and die while cranking

repost or reply with the information in question and lets see if we can get this honda running

Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 PM

The car is auto... It wants to turn over but it seems to me like the engine is not getting fuel... As I said in the first post battery was replaced and cables cleaned to make sure good contact was being made. Belts have also been checked and they are fine. Thats whay I thought it was the main relay because it seems like it wants to turn over but it just is not getting fuel. Once again thanks for any help.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

take your key. turn it to ON, but dont start the engine yet. right after you turn it to ON, do you hear a buzzing from below the backseat for about three seconds, then the buzzing stops?

Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: nafango2

take your key. turn it to ON, but dont start the engine yet. right after you turn it to ON, do you hear a buzzing from below the backseat for about three seconds, then the buzzing stops?
Thought I would clarify you're listening for the fuel pump.

A stretched timing belt could cause you to jump a tooth on the cam gear and make it sound like the engine is going to run, but won't Probably a worse case scenario type deal here though.

Since it's so old, do you know the last time the fuel filter was replaced? That could be clogged. Checking the fuel pressure at the rail would be something to do. I think it should be around 40 psi before the fuel pressure regulator and 30 psi after it.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Best practice is to determine whether fuel or spark is missing and proceed from there. A quick way to do this is to spray throttle body cleaner or starter fluid into the throttle body intake (inlet duct removed) while someone turns engine over. If car starts and runs briefly, the spark is very likely OK, and problem is fuel delivery, or if no-start continues, start looking at fuel delivery; main fuel relay, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator.

good luck

Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM

Hello everyone,

I had to work all week so just getting back to this problem. While I could not work on the car I could read about said problem on the internet. In my reading I noticed people talking about the check engine light staying on. So I read a little farther and found that I could get a error code. Well I did the "paper clip" trick and I guess the check engine light is supposed to blink to give your the error code? While mine stays solid no blinking or anything. So I looked that up and I found that I could have a bad ecu? Well I can go to the local junker and get one of those. My question is if this is my problem can replacing fuses short out a ecu? I was in the parking lot of a auto repair store when the car would not start (but crank). I had just replaced some fuses probably about 2-3 minutes before. So also if it is that the ecu is dead would the car only crank and not turn over... "Recap" My car (91 accord - auto) will crank but not turn over. It sounds like she just wants a little gas and would start up like she was ready for the indy 500. Anyways all help is greatly appreciated and thank you to all who have responded to this thread.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Read the responses to your original post. Engine will start even if ECU is dead.

good luck

Old 05-26-2008, 11:17 AM

check for spark

Quick Reply: Car will not start