General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont start...efi relay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Default Car wont start...efi relay?

Alright I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX 3.0L V6 Auto. Basically for the past few months (since it started getting warm out) the car randomly doesnt start up. What would happen is the car would start up it would start idling and then bog out. Also i would smell an extremely strong smell of gas. So a week ago it got to the point where it wasnt driveable. Thankfully it happened while i was at my parents so i could leave it in their driveway. The car originally would idle and then bog out, then it wouldnt even idle up it would start and instantly die. So when i started it i would give it gas and it would periodically start and then bog out again, all while still giving that gas smell. After doing some reading and researching on the problem, I found that a lot of people were having very similar problems (in the heat) with the EFI relay. So i had a buddy come out and re-solder it 2 days ago. After that happened it worked fine up until today where it happened again, but it was much more driveable. I know its a lot to take in but any help and recommendations would be amazing. If you need to know anything else please ask.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i am having a problem sort of like you and it seemed to help if i turn the key on and wait for about 2 seconds and then continue turning the key to start and it then fires. i never had to do this but it makes a difference. i wish i knew why but i dont understand. it might be the fuel pump relay going bad but i dont know. try this and see if it helps.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM

yea i tried doing that plus giving it gas and it works, but then dies out while im driving. Im gonna take it to the honda dealership here in town tomorow and see if they have any EFI Relays to replace it with. Any other recommendations are still welcome.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Okay here we go;
The reason you turn on the key and wait 2-3 seconds is to allow full fuel pressure at the injector so that the injector puts out a nice, fine, easily ignited, spray pattern as opposed to a low pressure drip.
FWIW the owners manual now calls out to hold the gas pedal 1/2 way during warm starts.
Some of the 99 Accords had ignition switch recalls. The dealer can run a VIN inquiry to see if yours qualifies.
And if the recall has been done it doesn't rule out the ignition switch as a problem because we were installing the exact same type unit back into the cars during the recall. NTSB didn't tell honda to upgrade the switch...just replace them.
Finally; since the product cheapening dept took over Honda in 98, I've seen several leaking injectors that just dump fuel into the cylinder; a fuel pressure leak down test will find that problem.

Last edited by hondadude; 05-17-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM

So if i start the car with the pedal half down isnt there a strong chance of me flooding my engine? and also this doesnt solve the fact that the car dies while im driving down the road. I only have the problem on hot days though, i drove around last night while the temp was in the 40's for a good 30-45 minutes with no problems. today its 70 and i just went to start the car and numerous times. it would either turn over right away or idle for a few seconds and then die.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
hj99z
Unregistered

That is really strange that they would have you hold the gas pedal down on a EFI vehicle. It will only use as much fuel as the computer allows, so it will not flood the engine like an older carbonated motor would. How could that possibly be a solution to this problem? Sounds to me like a serious design flaw.