General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car won't start - intermittant

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Car won't start - intermittant

I have a 2006 Honda Accord with the 2.4L inline-4. It has about 108,000 miles.

Today on my way to work I made a stop at a local convenience store and when I went to start the car, it would not start. It acted like the battery was dead (engine would barely turn over). However, I waited a second, tried the starter again and it started right up.

I tried it again when I got to work and the same thing happened. Acted like the battery is dead, but on the second try it started right up again. Could this be something as simple as a loose battery cable or what else should I check? This is typically my wife's car so I would like to check all of the "usual suspects" at once if I can. I don't want to leave her stranded.

No check-engine light or any other issues. It has not stalled or done anything else wierd. Once it starts it runs fine. It always seems to take a long time to start compared to my Civic or my truck but it starts.

Mileage has been bad (about 20) but I think a good part of that is the fact my wife drives barely 5 miles to work.

It was VERY wet this morning, if that helps.

My parents have a 2004 Accord and it has had a somewhat similar problem where when it hit a puddle the engine would shut off. That was a simple fix (bare wire or something like that, and it would get wet and short out when water hit it - I don't remember all the details). Could this be the same thing?

I did a search but could not find anything. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

These symptoms can be caused by a bad connection (check all connections), but more likely by a faulty starter solenoid (heavy duty relay). The contacts wear out and will not pass enough amperage to turn starter at adequate speed. Fix is a replacement starter. Not too bad a job on these late model 4-cyl.

good luck

Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Fix is a replacement starter. Not too bad a job on these late model 4-cyl.
Besides having to remove the intake manifold

As stated check clean the connections - can't hurt to take the battery to a parts store and have them test it as well.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Default mine does same thing

2007 accord 4 cyl 55 k miles.

Mine does the same thing, intermittent starting. Battery, cables etc are all good.

There is replacing just the selenoid on these cars? You have replace the whole starter?

Any one have a link to step by step for removing the intake manifold and replacing the starter?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if the solenoid can be replaced on these, I just don't know.

If you are going to do this and any other work on the car - I suggest a good shop manual....it will have the steps, spec's, testing, ect that you will need.

The one I have for the 7th gen Accord's (sad, as I don't even own one) I got from automanualsource dot com.....

EDIT: and a word of caution - the knock sensor is right there by the starter and I can't tell you how many times it has been broken when replacing the starter.....take your time and be careful.

Last edited by poorman212; 07-27-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Default knock sensor

Thanks for the info

The knock sensor, be careful when taking intake manifold off. or starter?

Do you have to remove the fans, radiator, radiator hoses when you take the intake off?

thanks

Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Hi Member..also look here in the forums for more info on this by useing the search and tags up above by the header for HondaAccordFourms..

Welcome to the forums

Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Both.....but really the starter.

As Ang stated, I remember someone posting a "how to" on this a while back.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

How much of the intake has to come off - just the runners or does the part with the injectors have to come off too?

The car hasn't had any problems so far today so I think something in there got wet. It was REALLY raining Saturday.

Ang - Thanks. I did the search and nothing like this came up.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Just intake runners. See following link for Acura TSX starter replacement. Accord is very similar (same engine).

TSX Starter Replacement Guide - AcuraZine Community

good luck

Quick Reply: Car won't start - intermittant