General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Default Car won't turn over

My daughter's 2000 Accord was fine then the next time she tried to crank it, click.

The starter didn't show signs of going bad. It just wouldn't turn over.

I pulled the battery cables and cleaned them, still nothing.

I ended up jumping across the terminals on the solenoid to crank it. That's how I got it home.

Now what?

Does that mean I need a new solenoid or starter or both?

She has been having to use a chop stick to get it out of park for a while.

Thanks for any help.

David

Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Do the brake lights work when you push the brake pedal?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM

I just went and checked. The brake lights don't work.

What does that mean?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

If the shift lever cannot be moved from the "P" park position when the brake pedal is depressed, and the brake light doesn't work, it means there is a problem in the brake switch circuit. Most likely a bad brake switch or adjustment. See this link regarding the brake switch replacement on an Acura, the info. is pretty much the same as the Accord. For the Accord EX, it should have cruise control, so the brake switch part must also be for cruise control. I believe the Honda part number shown in the link is the same for your daughter's Accord.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614710

Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Search for v=Nuj9o6YdO8A on YouTube for a video on the brake light switch. This problem was a little bit different than your accord, but you will see how ericthecarguy inspects the brake switch.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 PM

Thanks!

The chop stick has been needed for a couple months. I had no idea the brake lights didn't work all that time.

The car wouldn't crank for the first time today. Could this be related?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

There's a starter interlock to prevent you from starting the engine in any gear except "P" & "N". It shouldn't really be related to the brake/shift interlock, but some components of both those circuits are located sorta near each other? Maybe some wiring harness getting old & dirty/corroded/loose? Maybe a bad ground somewhere?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Any way to check to see if I need a new starter?

Can you buy a starter solenoid and just replace it?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

If you have one click at the starter, then the solenoid may be bad. I don't know if the 98-02 starters have the same setup as my old 95 accord where you can replace the contacts and the plunger.

I don't think you need the brake switch working to start the car.

You are supposed to use a key to release the shift lever (fixing the brake switch will cure the gear selector staying in park). Try starting the car in neutral.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM

If a cell in the battery went out, the entire battery can die. I had that happen to me once in a Mercury. Drove home from work, everything was fine. Stopped at a convenience store about 1/2 mile from my house and came out to start the car and it was dead. I mean not even the clicking noise from the starter. A cell in the battery had died and the entire battery was dead. Changed the battery and problem was solved.

Quick Reply: Car won't turn over