General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Default Carb problems?

Hi All new member here maybe you can help me.I have a 1988 Accord lx.I bought the almost 3 years ago and it had 54,000 on it.It now has 78,000. I have had the carb rebuilt feb of 2006 and it has run good until recently. This car now stalls when coming to a stop or letting off the gas while exiting the interstate.I just had the base gasket and oring changed as well as the pcv and cleaned up my egr valve. It starts right up after it stalls and seems to run good until another episode developes.I also can be doing 65 on the highway and the car will start to sputter thats when I can tell it's about tpo stall at the next stop.Cna someone give me a clue to what I need to fix.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Default RE: Carb problems?

is it possible that you just have bad gas? I'd at least replace the fuel filter if that hasn't been done recently... If you are just sitting in the driveway in neutral can you re-produce the problem or do you have to be driving down the road?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. Both fuel filters were changed when the carb was rebuilt,fresh gas dri gas and carb cleaner have been put in.WhenI start the car up it will run at high idle like it's supposed to do and then the idle willdrop just as it should when it warms up.This problem reacres at different times.Today while driving the car my battery light flashed and then went off. I'm going to check the alternator for loose wires tommorow.With the install of the base gasket pcv valve and carb rebuild I'm up around $900.00 and I'm starting to wonder if this is ever get resolved.The guy that did the work said one half of my vaccum advance was not working maybe this could be the culprit but he said no.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 PM

alternator or battery problems would certainly explain it as well.... vacuum leaks too.... that's why I was asking if you could re-create the issue at idle so you could just take it down to the local parts store and give it a chance to be tested.... wires and corrosion is a good place to start

Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 AM

I'm experiencing the same problem with my 88 accord. I too rebuilt the carb, replaced filters as well as plugs, cap, rotor and PCV valve. I'm about ready to replace the idle solenoid. Mine runs pretty good until it is nice and warmed up, then at idle it surges up and down. While I am driving, it will stall at stop lights. Again, this all occurs after at full operating temp. I'm interested in finding out what you did to fix it. If I fix mine, I will be sure to let you know.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

check your ignition module

Old 12-15-2006, 05:00 PM

I'm Back, well I had my alternator tested today and she's putting out 14.5 so I guess that's not the culprit.I started the car this morning and let it run for a good hour before I took off.The car idled at around 800 rpms but it was not a real smmoth idle,but didn't jump up and down,it had more of a miss.I sprayed all vac hoses and got no resaponce and I grabbed the vac hoses and checked for loose ones and I didn't hear any leaks.I left my driveway and at the first stop sign it stalled and started right up,so I continued on the highway where the car continued to hesitate and when I came to the exit it died and satarted right up so I came home and here I amin bewilderment.Any ideas out therel 88 accord 99 valkyrie 1980kz 1300 6 cyl 1984 v65 sabre 1984gpz 750 kawi

Old 12-15-2006, 05:22 PM

when you're driving down the road, wiggle the key a little bit and see if the car dies, if it does then you know it's the ignition being worn out, if not then at least that's one more item eliminated.... I don't know if you can do this with honda's but if memory serves I disconnected and just simply plugged the vacuum advance on an older car to make sure that wasn't the culprit...

Old 12-16-2006, 02:38 PM

Hi all well I tried the key jiggling thing with my switch and it kept runnibg.I tried the seafoam in the carb and gas tank with no noticable difference. I think I have a fuel problem and not electrical because when it's aboutg to stall if I give it the gas it runs and when I let off the gas it want's to die. Any Suggestions?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Have you had any luck fixing your carb problem?

Quick Reply: Carb problems?