General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carfax report

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Default Carfax report

Before spending 20 bucks on this, I'm wondering if it will include stuff like recalls or warranty repairs. Is it worth the cost?

Old 01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Carfax report

Carfax reports are nice and will show stuff like salvage title, how many owners etc but In my opinion your money is better spent having a pre-buyers inspection from a mechanic. The carfax for onetime should only be like $8.00 or $10.00 I thought.... Either way you've got nothing to lose but a few dollars by running it... You can find out where it was origonally purchased, if it's ever been declared totalled or wrecked (and reported) along with a few other odds/ends about it

Old 01-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Here's what a carfax report shows/looks like, this one was already run by a dealer so you can view it for free... don't buy the car though because I think I want it for my wife *L*

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...LR32E54C196364

Old 01-19-2007, 07:01 PM

If it's salvaged I think it has to be disclosed (not sure). Spend ur money on getting an inspection by the mechanic. I got a carfax with my car and it didn't really have too much info. Just gives u piece of mind its a clean title...

Old 01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ivote you should go for it, some dealerships are now signed up with CarFax, and they report when the car is in for repair; but no actual detail on the repair.
You can also check for mileage, between the different owners to see, if maybe someone rolled back the miles or put in a different speedo.
After you see the carfax, then take the car to a reliable shop and have them give it a look over.
Between those two things you could save your self a lot of headache or heartbreak.
Any Honda Tech , or dealer can run the VIN status inquiry to see what recall or S/B updates have been done

Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Being a total Honda noob, I bought this car at a Toyota dealership after changing my mind about a Toyota Solara I was checking out. My wife loved the Accord and going by Honda's reputation I bought it. Later. after finding this forum, I discovered that the 2000 Accord was possibly a poor choice because of the transmission issue. I was hoping there might be a way to find out if the trans had ever been a problem (70000 miles now). I've looked up the lawsuit site and this car is covered, but not much longer. It would be nice to know if it has ever been replaced.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 PM

any honda dealership should be able to tell you if it was replaced (unless someone went to a little underground shop and paid for it out of pocket) chances are that since the warranty went until 60k if it was replaced a honda dealership could tell you for free. If it's the I4 I wouldn't worry to much but if you are really concerned then I'd call honda of america and tell them that you just bought the car and are worried about it and see what they say (at least that way you have record of the concern)... Keep in mind too that plenty of people own that car and NEVER have a problem with it

Old 01-19-2007, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

If it's the I4 I wouldn't worry to much but if you are really concerned then I'd call honda of america and tell them that you just bought the car and are worried about it and see what they say (at least that way you have record of the concern)... Keep in mind too that plenty of people own that car and NEVER have a problem with it
Also keep in mind there are also plenty of us that have suffered 6thgentitus (tranny problems). With that in mind keep up on your tranny fluid changes and make sure you use honda atf. I'm going to change mine at least once a year. Maybe even twice.

Congrats on your purchase. I love my car, how do you find it? I hope you enjoy your cars as much as I do mine.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 PM

No such luck I'd have a I-4, I got the V-6. Aside from the trans concern, I really like this car a lot. I guess I'll just keep up with the fluid changes. Anyone using a magnetic drain plug in these things? I'm gathering the problem starts with the carrier bearings dying. This true?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:42 PM

I think when I had problems they said something about it was probably a bearing going out. My buddy has a 99 accord v6 and he had his replaced at 105k. He NEVER changed the tranny fluid. All he ever did was change the oil in the car....so hopefully with preventative care you can avoid this problem.

If you do have a problem I think there is a site you can enter your vin and see if you are covered. When mine had problem, the place I bought it from helped me out. Glad you like it!

Quick Reply: Carfax report