General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CEL after getting new distributor

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 AM
matrix2004
Unregistered
Default CEL after getting new distributor

My distributor failed and was replaced. Car works fine now but the CEL has been on since it was replaced. The mechanic said to give it a week and it might turn off by itself or the battery might need to be disconnected so the light can reset. Does this sound right?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Default RE: CEL after getting new distributor

Unhook the battery for about 15 seconds. Or easier, pull the "backup/radio" fuse under the hood for 15 seconds or so. Either method will reset the ECU. Let the car idle till it is at operating temp. If the CEL stays on, go down to AutoZone and have them pull the code with their scanner. Get the exact number of the code "PXXXX" and post it here.

What is the year, trim, engine, and transmission on your car? Need that info in your signature or many guys will not offer any help at all.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 PM
matrix2004
Unregistered

If i do this, that means i need to reset the radio too right? So i need to get the radio code first otherwise it won't work?

Old 09-17-2007, 01:29 PM

YES! if it is the stock radio and you have an EX model! I didn't realize you had an EX.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

WHY don't you start by inputting YEAR AND MODEL in your signatutre ,, there are ways to clear the ecu that DOES NOT REQUIRE disconnecting the battery...

Old 09-17-2007, 01:45 PM

It's in there now desert.... it showed up in his second post. Thanks for inputing that information matrix 2004. And yes if you have the stock radio you'll want the code before you do the reset.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

It's in there now desert.... it showed up in his second post.
Sorry my man I missed it,, Here you go ..
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/HOW...m_32998/tm.htm

Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd
pull the "backup/radio" fuse under the hood for 15 seconds or so.
Posted the "pull backup fuse" method already

Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
matrix2004
Unregistered

Ok, so just to get this straight, by doing the fuse procedure this will not be like disconnecting the battery and i will not need to get the radio code,correct?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Actually, I think you still need the radio code because you are pulling the radio fuse, but I could be wrong. Do you not have the owner's manual? I believe it is printed in there. You need to find out that code anyway. Any timeyour battery ever dies you will have to type in that code to get the radio working again. If I were you, I'd obtain the code ASAP. If you don't have the owner's manual, you could always drive the car to a Honda dealer and they should be able to look up the code for you. I seem to recall it may be printed in the trunk somewhere. Try doing a search.

Quick Reply: CEL after getting new distributor