General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL - Code 43

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Default CEL - Code 43

ok, so all's been well, except for this stupid code 43........the car runs great, i'm getting 400 miles on a full tank of gas....no hiccups.........it came on the first nite i drove the car after replacing the hose, has been ok since, (March of this year) it's now May and it came on yesterday May 6. Do you think the sensor is bad or do you think maybe i messed up the cable when i changed the hose?? Suggestions? If i need to replace this 02 sensor, how hard? any special tools??? Thanks for the help!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Good to see you again....or maybe not since your are posting a new issue

You can check the connection to be sure - clean it and then reset the ecu. If the code comes back....well most of the time this means the O2 finally gave out.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 AM

good to be seen, just not under these circumstances, hahahahaha.....

clean it with what??? and suggestions on where to buy? was i seeing right when i saw a honda one is $250+.........

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just replaced the o2 sensor on my 91. It was 70 dollars at AutoZone. I cleaned the plug with carb cleaner cause it was full of oil. the o2 sensor was on there pretty good, I let it sit overnight with pb blaster, it broke loose pretty easy. I hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 AM

Justin, did you get the NGK one, or did you go with a Bosch or Denso? NGK is the oem one, why a male connector is cheaper than a female is beyond me......is carb cleaner the same as brake cleaner?? God i suck!

As a side note, i had to change a leaky gasket on the motor where the upper hose connects, so i reset the code. I want to see if maybe that was part of the problem...we'll see if the CEL comes back on, it's been pretty regular the last few days...

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM

It came back, it's pretty regular now, about 20 mins into the drive, last nite was the first time it hesitated, will this hurt car? I can't get to it til this weekend............. sooooooooo, as i'm reading, i understand there are two 02 sensors.........how do i know which one to fix???

Old 05-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Replace the O2 sensor ahead of the catalytic converter. It's in the section from exhaust manifold to converter, accessible under the hood.

I don't think brand make much difference, but OEM Denso is available at good prices from ebay, amazon, rockauto, etc.

good luck

Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 AM

Thanks, i ordered from Rock Auto, Denso $35 shipped..... I was hoping i didn't have to go under car to replace this!!! thanks TexasH! As soon as it comes in, i'll replace, so should i pb blast that sucker now? while i'm waiting? Then when it comes in, pull negative off battery, pull fuse, replace sensor, connect back up, and cross my fingers???

Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

PB Blaster may help, but I've found that warming the car for 5 mins works better.

good luck

Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 AM

While i'm waiting, can i unplug this sensor and run the car? will it hurt? or should i leave it plugged in and just adjust when the cel kicks on....the car hesitates for a sec, and then runs fine....what do you suggest?

Quick Reply: CEL - Code 43