General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord ex/ex-r power windows/doors stop working

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 05:06 PM
Unhappy 91 accord ex/ex-r power windows/doors stop working

Hi, Im having some issues with the power locks and power windows in my 91 accord Ex-r/Ex

Leading up to the problem:
- I brought my car in to a local mechanic to get new rocker panels welded on (thanks Canada!), some new shocks put on, and a safety. TLR the mechanic took way too long to do these things, also ripped out my gas tank for safety reasons cause he smelt gas before he was welding and didnt tell me, so I took the car back after 11 months of it sitting. All he did was weld new rockers on
- Brought the car back home on a flatbed. Car battery was dead. Charged it overnight
- Next morning went to operate doors/windows and they didn't work

Things Ive checked:
-Grounding wire under seat clean connection
-Power window relay works in fuse box under hood
-There is power to fuse box under the dash on drivers side (sun roof works)

I have really no idea why this happened or what I can do to fix this issue, ive been looking up things for days and cant find anyone with the same issue as me, I really hope someone can help before it's forced to sit for another winter, I need a working car. Previous owners have ran through this car with their bad DIY wiring under the dash and it might as well just be a rats nest and its hard to identify anything. Also its impossible to find wiring diagrams for these cars without paying big money.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

With this kind of problem, you will have to troubleshoot electrically, because it could be wiring or the window switch itself.

Google 62SN700.pdf for a 1993 shop manual. This will be very close if not identical to your 91.

Id probably remove the door panel and start at the power window motor. The 2 thicker wires to the harness should be power and ground to the window motor. They will switch depending if you hit the window switch up or down. Unplug the connector and measure voltage and ground to each wire. Let us know what is missing, then you can work backwards. A volt meter will work, but a test light is probably better as it carries more current.