General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL Still on after replacing O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Unhappy CEL Still on after replacing O2 sensor

Hi there,

I have 2002 Honda Accord SE 2.3L 2234CC L4 FI VIN: F23A4 - SOHC car.
The OBD Code reader shown the codes as P1166/P1167.

After inspecting at a famous service station, they identified that upstream O2 sensor need to be replaced. Based on internet search and mechanic suggestion, I purchased Denso Air Fuel Sensor Direct Fit (Part No. 234-9014) and installed it as per the instructions.

I was thinking that after 4-5 restarts or by erasing the code using OBD scanner will turn off the Check Engine Light, but that did not happen.
I drove the vehicle around 10 miles but I did not see the light going off!

I have to go for a State Inspection before the end of this month. I would appreciate, if anyone can help me fixing this problem.

Regards
Jay

Old 03-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Talking Hi New Member Jay

Welcome to the forum..I moved your 1st post to this here forum because it was in the wrong one..

Thank You for joining.

Attached Thumbnails CEL Still on after replacing O2 sensor-dz-coiloversnewjune2010.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Those codes suggest an electrical problem w/ heater circuit on AF sensor. Since new AF sensor did not fix the problem, the fault must lie w/ fuse, wiring, or connector.

Did you check that same codes have reappeared? It's possible something else has failed.

good luck

Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM

I dont think there is any fault with fuse, wiring, or connector as it the AF sensor I replaced it an brand new OE (Denso AF Sensor, Part No. 234-9014). If I am overseeing something could you help me exactly what I need to check on my car?

When I checked with OBD2 scanner, I could see the same codes(P1166/P1167) reappearing. Will be there any separate devices which would erase the codes after this new AF sensor replacement?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Did you have the OBDII code cleared AFTER you changed the sensor? If you didn't, you must have it done or else the CEL will stay ON until you have had a bunch of start/stop cycles. I don't remember the exact number but it's more than 3 or 4.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

TexasHonda meant the wiring harness leading to the electrical connector of the sensor. Not the wiring on the sensor you bought.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Default Already tried but nouse :(

Originally Posted by Bobertsr
Did you have the OBDII code cleared AFTER you changed the sensor? If you didn't, you must have it done or else the CEL will stay ON until you have had a bunch of start/stop cycles. I don't remember the exact number but it's more than 3 or 4.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After installing the new AF Sensor, I tried clearing the codes with OBDII scanner but it appeared on restart! I did plenty of restarts, removed the battery conn... still the CEL appears!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Rapid recurrence of the code means you likely have open/short in the circuit somewhere other than the new AF sensor and attached wiring.

It very well could be a faulty circuit in the ECU.

Inspect the engine harness side connector for the AF sensor and local wiring for damage.

If all looks OK, disconnect the connector at the AF sensor and check voltage at the heater leads (need wiring diagram to know which wires). One wire should have power (12v) when keyswitch is on and other wire should be 0V and grounded by ECU to enable. If ground from ECU is not available, suggest removing connector w/ ground wire at the ECU and checking continuity of this wire to the released sensor connector. Easiest way is to short one end of the wire to frame ground and check that ground is available at the other end. If not, there's a wiring/connector fault somewhere. If wire checks good, the ECU is likely the problem.

Check for used ECU's at ebay and car-part.com.

good luck

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a volt meter, you should check for voltage on the electrical connector going to the O2 sensor.

Use a metal bolt as your ground. Two of the pins should have voltage. I can't remember if they get 12V or 5V.

There are some resistance tests you can try as well to see if the wiring is damaged. Do you have a shop manual for your car?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

And please check the fuse in the pass side under dash panel. #6 20amp.

Quick Reply: CEL Still on after replacing O2 sensor