General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

change your tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Default RE: change your tranny fluid

i cant cause i dont have the proper tool and those Jippy Lube charges up to $99 to flush which is not much different from drain and refill but just more expensive.. i'd love to work on my car so i prefer to drain and refill. Besides, it'll save me about $70 by doing that

Old 04-03-2006, 11:22 PM

you can flush it by taking off one of the hoses that goes to the radiator. Make sure you know what you're doing before you do this, but you can flush out every drop in that transmission if you do it right. If you're not careful, you'll have a messy driveway or worse! This is how I would do a trans fluid change for an auto:

Drain the pan and refill (install a new filter if needed). Then take off the radiator feed line and connect a suitable hose and run it into a 5 gallon bucket. Start the car and let the fluid drain out into the bucket untill the new fluid runs out. You can tell by the rich color of the new fluid verses the dirty color of the old. Then refill the fluid to the proper level. That's how I've been doing it anyways. This method works best with 2 people.

If you're not sure about doing it this way, then don't worry about it, but by doing it this you get all the fluid that's in the torque converter. Make sure you have plenty of new tranny fluid before you get going!

Old 04-06-2006, 02:15 AM
dj guest one
Unregistered

the plug is right under the tranny, remove plug and drain, there's no filter. Use a long funnel to refill. make sure you use proper oil!

Old 04-09-2006, 02:14 AM

Would this be the same for a '98 4cyl automatic with the VTEC?

Old 04-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

all honda tranny fluid is the same for all accords ...ATF-Z1

Old 04-10-2006, 03:31 AM

I'm sorry deserthonda, I meant the procedure... it's as simple as pull the plug, drain, and then refill through the dipstick hole?

Old 04-10-2006, 05:03 AM

there is actually a bolt that you unscrew on the top of the tranny that is easier to fill the tranny with, but you can fill it through the dipstick. but yes it is just that easy. drain, then fill.....youll be all set

Old 04-10-2006, 03:29 PM

Also to make your life easier if you get one of those screw on caps that has a flexible hose that comes off it (like $2-$3 from an auto store) it will go over the top of your tranny fluid bottles and then you can pour it in without the mess.... if you're really impatient then after you start the fluid flowing (if you use that tube thing I was talking about...) then punch a hole in the bottom of it with a knife or something to allow more airflow.... (think beer bong principal...)

Old 04-10-2006, 04:02 PM

Would this be the same for a 2002 V6 Auto? Is it also true there is no filter?

mbo1895,
About how many quarts do you need to perfom the flush? 5, 6, more?

Old 04-10-2006, 04:43 PM

there is no filter that you "change"

Quick Reply: change your tranny fluid