General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Brake Rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Default Changing Brake Rotors...

I recently bought a DD 96 5 speed LX and plan to change the rotors and brakes soon,plus I think one of my bearings might be bad.Car runs like a dream though,nice and solid!

2 questions before I take it apart:

Are brake rotors held on by 4 phillips screws?Do I need an impact screwdriver to get them off?

And do I need to change the axle nuts with new ones anytime I remove them?

This is my first Honda and I never did the brakes and etc on there so was just asking.(Im a former GM tech and certified in GM brakes as well)
Just never worked on a car like this.Just need some info before I go and replace some stuff.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You have to separate the bearing and hub to get them off. Take the steering knuckle off and take it to a machine shop unless you have a press. The dealership has a tool to do them on the car. The axle nuts are up to you. I usually replace them and I would replace the rotor mounting bolts also. I think on your Accord there is seal you replace with the bearing job. It is all metal.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 01-23-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM

Thanks Kris! Do you know if autozone or advance rents out this tool?

I found a accord rotor removing tool during a search but it was kinda expensive.

I do have a local machine shop right down the road from me,walking distance,and they have a hydraulic press.But that said,id rather be able to do this at home myself.If I cant,then I will take the unit off and let them press it out.

I thought about calling the snap on guy,but fuggetaboutit,its probably gonna be way more expensive through him.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:50 PM

I don't think you will find the tool for rent. It is a massive steel tool and it is easy to mess up a bearing using it. I would get Honda bearings or get the same company they use.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

The bearing does not need to be separated from the hub to remove the rotors.

Loosen the bolts on the hub that hold the rotor. The axle nut needs to come off. You unbolt the caliper and bracket. There are 4 bolts holding the bearing to the knuckle from the back of the knuckle. If you are lucky, the hub/rotor/bearing will pull out from the knuckle. Usually, the bearing housing will rust into the knuckle and it will be stuck in there.

There are some tools that will help you do this properly. I know that DesertHonda wrote a DIY procedure in the DIY section.

There is a rotor over the hub conversion, that I recently did on my car. The 98/99 acura CL uses the same knuckle as your accord. The bearing between them is the same, but the CL hub is set up like a normal car. All you would need is the 98/99 CL rotors which are the same as the 98-02 accord rotors.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The bearing does not need to be separated from the hub to remove the rotors.

Loosen the bolts on the hub that hold the rotor. The axle nut needs to come off. You unbolt the caliper and bracket. There are 4 bolts holding the bearing to the knuckle from the back of the knuckle. If you are lucky, the hub/rotor/bearing will pull out from the knuckle. Usually, the bearing housing will rust into the knuckle and it will be stuck in there.

There are some tools that will help you do this properly. I know that DesertHonda wrote a DIY procedure in the DIY section.

There is a rotor over the hub conversion, that I recently did on my car. The 98/99 acura CL uses the same knuckle as your accord. The bearing between them is the same, but the CL hub is set up like a normal car. All you would need is the 98/99 CL rotors which are the same as the 98-02 accord rotors.
Thanks so much for the info!

Its funny,last night I was wondering if there was a conversion to go back to a more conventional set up and sure enough you posted it.

Can you elaborate more exactly whats needed to do the conversion or if there is a link I can read?I may end up doing it if its cheap enough and easier for the long haul.I plan to keep this car for a while.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:52 PM

I have never seen it done like that even at the dealership. 96FiveSpeed if that works for you please post after the Job.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 01-24-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

In the DIY section, there is a rotor over the hub conversion thread.

In order to do the conversion, you need a 98/99 acura CL 2.3 hub and a 98/99 CL 2.3 rotor. The bearing between the two cars is identical. Keep the stock accord calipers and brake pads.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM

Thanks all,to the replies and info!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
In the DIY section, there is a rotor over the hub conversion thread.

In order to do the conversion, you need a 98/99 acura CL 2.3 hub and a 98/99 CL 2.3 rotor. The bearing between the two cars is identical. Keep the stock accord calipers and brake pads.
I just looked and did not see a thread there...can you provide a link?
Thanks again for all the info!

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Rotors...