General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Changing the braking fluids or engine coolant first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Changing the braking fluids or engine coolant first?

So I had my oil change today, after getting an estimate for fixing my car's paint. The guy said that I need to change my brake fluids and my engine's coolant. He said that if I had to pick between the 2 I should change the coolant because it's very low. How important is it to change these two things? should I take his advise and change the coolant?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

Can you tell us what car you own? How many miles are on it? Do you know when the coolant was last changed?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Can you tell us what car you own? How many miles are on it? Do you know when the coolant was last changed?
It's a 2005 accord lx, the mileage is around 69k and I'm not sure when was the last time the coolant was changed because my dad gave me this car

Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Coolant is important and vital to the life of the engine. If it is low, at least top it off with a 50/50 water/cooolant mix until you can have it changed. Don't drive the car until you do this, or serious damage may occur. Top off the brake fluid if needed, but you really need to pay attention to the coolant being low.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

If the coolant is that important, I'll get it flushed on Thursday. Thanks

Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Honda factory-fill coolant has a pretty long lifespan. Book probably says 10 years but I might change it now.

On the other hand, brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air & that makes it corrosive. Most people say to change it every 2 or 3 years regardless of miles. Brakes are important too, especially if you're driving behind my daughter's car.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

guess I'll change the coolant first then I'll change the brake fluid when I have enough money

Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Coolant change interval is 10 years or 120K miles for an 05 accord. If the overflow tank is low, just add the correct coolant to the fill line. Add some to the radiator if it is not completely filled up. Only remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold. The owners manual calls for Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. All of the coolant doesn't need to be changed. Keep a close eye on the coolant level after you top off the fluids as you might have a leak. This is something you can do yourself.

I would have the brake fluid changed. Honda recommends the Honda heavy duty dot 3 fluid, but I would say that any heavy duty dot 3 fluid will work. This should be done every three years.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
. Brakes are important too, especially if you're driving behind my daughter's car.
OP-Sorry for this, Jim.....that one killed me.

Now back to the issue, I lean towards the brake fluid as well.

Top the coolant off, however if there is a leak causing the issue that is a differnet story but upon repairing that leak, then flush.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay so brake fluids then, tomorrow I'm gonna go to the dealership to change that and the second bearing shaft which Honda recalled.

Quick Reply: Changing the braking fluids or engine coolant first?