General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing oil in 2010 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Changing oil in 2010 Accord

Hey guys, I have a 2010 Honda Accord with the I4 2.4l

I need some help I'm thinking about changing the oil myself in my car about to go to Lubbock tomorrow and I have 20% oil life left and thinking it's best to change it now instead of risking it getting any lower.

So what kind of oil are you guys using, and I know there was someone saying there's a way to reset the oil light anybody have any knowledge on this. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Procedure for resetting the oil light. Personnally, I'm not sure if you can do this before the little wrench symbol lights up to tell you it's down to 15%.

Key ON. Cycle to oil % display.
Press & hold the odometer reset button - 20 seconds feels like a LONG time.
Oil % will begin flashing. Release the reset button.
Press & hold it again (for a long time). That will reset it to 100%.

I've used Castrol GTX 5w-20 and oil-analysis tells me that Honda's oil-life calculations are pretty good. But oil brands is like talking about religion, so everyone will chime in with something different.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Procedure for resetting the oil light. Personnally, I'm not sure if you can do this before the little wrench symbol lights up to tell you it's down to 15%.

Key ON. Cycle to oil % display.
Press & hold the odometer reset button - 20 seconds feels like a LONG time.
Oil % will begin flashing. Release the reset button.
Press & hold it again (for a long time). That will reset it to 100%.

I've used Castrol GTX 5w-20 and oil-analysis tells me that Honda's oil-life calculations are pretty good. But oil brands is like talking about religion, so everyone will chime in with something different.
Thanks for the response yeah well usually I would wait a little bit longer but I'm about to make a trip up to Lubbock Texas which is 9hrs away and about 1,200 miles away round trip, I just rather be safe than sorry only reason I'm even considering changing it otherwise I would wait till about 10% to change it, it's actually been at 20% for a little while so I'm assuming the number is about to change.

We're running Castrol Edge full synthetic in my gf Land Rover so that's what I was going to run in this just so there both on the same oil.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

You can change the engine oil and reset the maintenance minder oil life indicator at anytime.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Honda recommends using a premium-grade 5W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal. This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving, and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest requirements. Honda states "Make sure the API Certification Seal says ‘‘For Gasoline Engines.’’

It's personal preference, I've been mainly using Mobil 1 synthetic for years and currently have Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The Honda dealer here will put in penzoil synthetic blend if you take it to them for an oil change. Other dealers may use another brand of oil like Valvoline.

The important thing if you are going to change your own oil is make sure you get the correct weight and a quality oil filter. Your 2010 I4 calls for 4.2 quarts of 5W-20 oil. Whether you use conventional, synthetic blend or full synthetic oil, and a specific brand is completely up to you.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
The Honda dealer here will put in penzoil synthetic blend if you take it to them for an oil change. Other dealers may use another brand of oil like Valvoline.

The important thing if you are going to change your own oil is make sure you get the correct weight and a quality oil filter. Your 2010 I4 calls for 4.2 quarts of 5W-20 oil. Whether you use conventional, synthetic blend or full synthetic oil, and a specific brand is completely up to you.
It's 4.4 U.S. quarts (4.2 liters).

Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ah, glad you caught that mistake, good eyes. Deffinatly don't want to run it low.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Don't go by the quarts. After running it a few minutes, check the dipstick. Believe the dipstick. It'll drain a little more or less depending on how level it is when you drain.

I routinely get more oil out, just because I rotate tires while it's draining. A little more oil drains out each time I jack up a corner to change tires.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the great info fellas! You guys are awesome!

Well I went ahead and put Castol Edge with Sentec or however you spell it, used recommended 5w-20, used a fram oil filter and the car is running like an absolute champ drove it about 1,360 miles in 2 days and handled it fine actually drove a lot smoother.

Now I read that you need to change the drain oil plug gasket, do you have to? I mean when I pulled my old one off it had a metal washer so I didn't see the purpose to change it but I did. So can someone shed some light on "why" your supposed to do this?

Quick Reply: Changing oil in 2010 Accord