General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default changing oil pan gasket?

Hello all.

While attending to my leaking axle seal I noticed a bit of oil around the oil pan gasket towards the transmission.

It is not a leaking main seal, I checked that when I swapped the flexplate for the flywheel.

Since I have been putting cardboard under the car each night lately I can see that I have a few small drips from the pan gasket.

I cannot stand anytype of leak at all so I want to fix it.

It looks simple, pull the crossover bar, pull the pan, swap a new gasket.

Am I correct? Should I use an oil pan gasket? I know on my 4x4 gasket maker is what is recommended without any gasket.

What should I use?

Thank you very much in advance.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Is there a oil pan gasket that is made? I just used gasket maker.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 AM

So I should just use gasket maker?
Which one do you recommend?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

The gasket sealer has worked fine from me. I looked it up and Honda does offer a gasket($22) if you want it. I didn't even think they did make one. I guess if I were to do it again I would probably buy the gasket.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I thought you had to pull exhaust manifold/header?

good luck

Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM

IDK - this is why I was asking to see if anyone had done it and what was required.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM

If its setup like the 1991 remove downpipe and dropp pan simple and easy I used a new gasket from felpro and was less than $30. Gasket adhesive makes it real easy to set the gasket in place and shove it all back in place.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 PM

Crispin (or anyone else), what did you end up doing, gasket or no gasket? What worked?

Got an oil pan leak on my "new" engine. It was previously repaired with it looks like a gallon of gray RTV, squirting out of the pan both inside and outside the engine. I'm thinking I should use a gasket with a thin layer of RTV on either side but want other's experience.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

The F23 didn't come until 1998, so that engine was swapped from a newer car, right??

The F22 engine from 1996 does have a gasket. I think the gasket has metal washers embedded in it, for proper spacing between the block & the pan. Make sure you get those off because you don't want TWO layers of those spacers.

If it really is an F23, with a cast-aluminum oil pan, those didn't come with a gasket. Just use silicone gasket-maker. But I have heard that gaskets are available if you want. Personally, I'd probably do it with gasket-maker like original.

Clean up the pan and the block real good, and check how they fit up. If something is bent, and there's big gaps, then I'd get a gasket.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The F23 didn't come until 1998, so that engine was swapped from a newer car, right??.
Jim, yes he did the swap about two weeks ago. Pretty nice write up on the process.

Quick Reply: changing oil pan gasket?