General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Default Price?

The other reason I am thinking about doing it myself is the Honda dealers suck around here!! I just tried to call 2. The first couldn't get service on the phone and the second said $85 for labor and put me thru to parts for a parts price. I got a voice mail!!! What a bunch of clowns. Good thing I like Honda's, the dealers aren't helping any!!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Default Part maker?

I guess my only other question is the replacement part. Is Bosch OK? Thanks for your help.

Again, a trip to the Honda dealerships around here is like a trip to the dentist for a root canal!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Robcie
Thank you all for your input! I scanned and found: code P0141; bank 1, sensor 2. Jim you were right on! It looks like I'll be replacing the one at the cat; the more expensive one...

Rob C
2003 LX4-cyl, AT 72K
My AutoZone readout said this too. PO141 Definition HO2S 12 Heater condition, (Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 sensor 2)

So I'm going to replace the downstream. Upstream replaced last year. Did I mention I have 209,000 miles on it? Is Bosch OK? PN 15409. Thanks

Last edited by Jeff247; 03-10-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

I think I said this in the other thread too, but P0141 is specifically the heater in that sensor. You can measure resistance & a failed heater would measure as an open circuit. If the heater is OK then you can troubleshoot the circuit in the car.

People have said Bosch spark plugs don't do well in Hondas, but I'm not sure about O2 sensors.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oxygen Sensor

Jeff,

This is the same sensor that I used in my car; it's been fine ever since I replaced it.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 AM

If you replace the sensor Don't go with a Universal Make sure it id a Direct-fit or OEM For your Vehical.As far as Bosch plugs not working to well in a honda I beg to differ The Only plugs I run in any of my Vehicals Are Bocsh Platinums Never had any problems with them
Jim you did touch base On something alot of people overlook ..The Exhaust ...Your sensors are designed to work withing a specified resistance range unless the are burned out they can only tell your on-board Computer that something is not right its up to you to figure out why its giving you the reading in the first place .Anymore everyone want to replace the sensor that is saying something is wrong without addressing the reason why it's saying the problem is there.... Before you Go chageing that sensor try Haveing the Exhaust checked out first it's alot cheaper to replace a $30 muffler then an $80 Sensor and take the chance of still haveing the same problem and cause further damage to your vehical .Slight physics lesson your O2 sensors operate in a certain heat range if your exhaust is plugged the resulting backpresser it going to cause the nearest Upstream O2 sensor to read the exhaust is running hotter then it should therefore it will trip a code in the computer.
Don't mean to rant but i see it everyday...folks whant to replace the sensor With out addressing the possible cause of why the sensor is saying there is a problem

Old 03-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Default Goin to the dealer

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. I have decided to take it to the dealer monday morn for a check. See what they say. I will have the resistance checked by a friend. Just for my own knowledge and to keep the dealer honest, how do you check the exhaust, as suggested, to see if that is a problem? Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:20 AM

try knocking on muffler with something solid if it don't sound like a hollow tin can it will morethen likely need replaced ...you also need to check for rust ,blacksoot and rusty pipes ,you can use a pair of slipjoint pliers to gently sqeeze the pipes to see if they are soft (they should be solid) the best way I have found to find out for sure if the Catalytic converter is clogged is to remove the muffler and fire up the car it should sound like your running open headers or a stock car at the race track if the car is not and fairly quite good indication theat will need replaced as well.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Default Update!!

Took the car to my dealer yesterday. Charged me $94 to hook it up to "the computer". Then told me it was the o2 sensor at the converter. I told them that a week ago based on a FREE diagnostic at AutoZone!!! It was another $175 for the part and labor. They also fixed latest recall.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the $94. I don't mind the money, it's the fact that they waited til I was there for my appointment to tell me. They couldn't have told me when I made the appointment and THEY TOLD ME I needed a computer diagnostic? I left the building while they worked on the car and called another Honda Dealer to see what they would say about my CEL. Again, they had to hook it up to "the computer" and wanted me to make an appointment to bring it in, but didn't mention the $94 charge til I asked.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Jeff,

It's too bad you got screwed by the dealer! Many shops will perform a diagnostic and as long as you use them to replace the bad part, they apply the fee towards the repair. Besides, I'm not sure why you had them check it again, after you already pulled the code at Autozone and consulted this board. Additionally, replacing the sensor yourself would have saved you a lot of cash! It's a pretty simple repair.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light