General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

check engine light

Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Default check engine light

I just got my sound system installed by a guy who I found in the newspaper. Before I dropped the car off there was no check engine light but when I picked it up the light is on and it doesnt turn off. While he was installing the system he said the batter went dead and had to replace it with a new one. He said that the reason the light is on is because it has to get reset because of the battery. Is that why the light is really on? If so, how do I reset it?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

NO. Go to AutoZone or someplace like that, where they can read the stored error code. Post back with the actual code number; then we can help.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Believe it or not, it makes a difference whether you have an Accord and what year/trim. Please update your post and signature w/ this information.

Most cases, the CEL is reset by removing the battery cable. If he simply replaced the battery, the CEL should not have come on. Code needs to be extracted. See DIY section for guidance.

good luck

Old 02-27-2009, 10:49 AM

ok so I went to autozone and I forgot what code they told me but the guy said it has something to do with either a bad censor or a loose hose or something like that. The guy looked under the hood and saw a pretty fat hose (that came out the engine) not plugged in to another piece(the piece was about a inch from the battery) He plugged it in but the light still didnt go off. He said I might have to drive a bit for it to turn off or I might have to disconnet the battery and connect it again. I did both and the light is still on! Furthermore, now once in a while I think the car loses complete power because when go to turn the car on the clock on the radio keeps flashing and I keep having to put in the radio code. Last but not least, everytime I raise the volume and the bass is thumping the radio just turns off and then comes back on.(the car doesnt turn off though) Can you please help!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jnunez
ok so I went to autozone and I forgot what code they told me but the guy said it has something to do with either a bad censor or a loose hose or something like that...
Well, that narrows it down to only about 400 different possibilities.

... Can you please help!
Go back & get the actual code number.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM

i think the person who installed your system fu**** up on it. Stuff like this is why i don't let people work on my car for anything.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I just got my sound system installed by a guy who I found in the newspaper.
this is what would have raised a red flag for me ..

find a scanner, erase the code drive the car and see if it comes up again,,of course when you drive it make sure that it drives with no issues..( miss, hesitation, etc etc )

Last edited by deserthonda; 02-27-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Is there a fuse on the positive (+) wire for the amp? It would be within 12 inches of wherever he tapped for power (battery, most likely)

If there isn't a fuse there (40A usually, big a** tube fuse) and he accidentally grounded the positive wire in the trunk, he would've probably damaged the battery and electrical system.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 PM

i went to autozone again and this is the code they gave me p0453

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 AM

thats ur fuel tank pressure sensor circit i would start by replacein the gas cap and if its still doinn that take it to a pro

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine light