General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 AM
weyemar
Unregistered
Default Check Engine Light

2006 Honda Accord VP, 4D, 100,000 miles

Hello, I have been a long time Honda fan. My first car was a 1994 Honda Accord and I sold it with 225,000 miles on it.

I recently purchased this 2006 Accord and have been doing my own inspections.

I plan on doing a full tune up (cabin air filter, engine air filter, oil change, replace spark plugs, maybe transmission fluid change).

Yesterday I checked the engine air filter using this guide (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6381)

I tried to remove the cover before looking at that guide and was a bit puzzled..

This morning when I left for work I saw the check engine light on.

I haven't been to Auto Zone or anywhere to check the error code (didn't even know they would do that for me).

Was wondering if anyone might have an idea why that would happen.

I know I had to push around the cover pretty hard to get it to pop up or back down...

Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Probably not. Even if you didn't have your intake on all the way and just loose that shouldn't throw the light. Just make sure you didn't undo any wires. But it is probably a coincidence. Take it to AutoZone and have them read the codes and post them. You shouldn't have to push the cover down hard to get it to seal. It is just a matter of getting it in the right spot.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Those pictures are a V-6. Same engine? Got a 4-cyl in yours?

Does yours have a MAF sensor in the airfilter housing top cover?

When wrestling with that cover, did you manage to disconnect any of the vent lines that connect to the big air duct?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 AM
weyemar
Unregistered

Mine is a I4 2.4L

When I was looking at it.. I unplugged the connector that comes off the tube that goes into the engine. I could see some kind of sensor in the tube when I lifted it up.

You think by just unplugging it that it would turn on the check engine light?

I'll make sure it is completely plugged in as well.

I'll take a pic and upload it in a minute.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
weyemar
Unregistered

This is the connection I unplugged for a second. I made sure it was completely plugged in.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rf4g48.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wqcsiw.jpg

Last edited by weyemar; 05-14-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Absolutely. If you undid that connection (it is your MAF or Mass Air Flow Sensor) and started the car up with it undone then the answer is: YES, that WILL cause your CEL (Check Engine Light) to come on. Plug it back in and it eventually will turn off after so many start-ups. Search for how to clear the codes and get the light off it you want.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM
weyemar
Unregistered

I didn't unplug it while it was running or even the key in the ignition.. Perhaps it still caused it to create an error..

Old 05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Unplugging that while it's not turned on won't throw a CEL. But worse, if you damaged the sensor... ?

Still, don't forget to check whether any vent lines have become disconnected from the large air duct.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 AM
weyemar
Unregistered

Everything seems to be plugged in fine.. I can't figure out why it would kick on..

I'm not sure how I could have damaged it. I didn't touch it or anything. Would be very good if lifting the tube would have damaged the sensor..

Old 05-14-2009, 12:23 PM
weyemar
Unregistered

OK well I spent my lunch out on my car..

I made sure that everything was snug and turned the car on and off maybe a half dozen times and now there is no check engine light!

yay.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light