General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Default check engine light

Ever since I have bought my 96 Accord I have been having check engine light issues. I have taken my car to one dealer and they refused to fix it. i took it to another dealer which is 30+ miles away and they replace an o2 sensor. The check engine light came right back on after this. I'm at a point where I am sick of this. I have to have my check engine light turned off so that I can pass emmssions testing. I was told at the first dealership that I needed a new fuel injentor and the some valve work needed to be done. At the other dealership I was told something different. On Jan, 2006 I received a letter from Honda Corp that said that my extended mile was still in effect. Has anyone else had these problems? I am having a hard time getting a dealership to fix my car. What should I do? The problems that I am having with my car are under warranty but I guess that the dealerships don't want to fix it because I didn't buy it there.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:59 AM
dj guest one
Unregistered
Default RE: check engine light

I have a 98 accord and took my ride in for the same thing. I paid $55 bux for a diagnostic, of course it wasn't with a dealership. It's a small shop in Canoga Park. The diagnostic read i need a new cat-converter to remove it. However just to test.. The mechanic himself turned the light off to see if it would appear again. My light is off right now but, the mechanic thinks it will reappear within 30 - 45 miles of driving..

Oh, and i got the smog since the light was off. What a convinience!!

P.s. my 94 accord had the same problem and it went away after replacing time belt, water pump.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 PM

Thank you this issue with the light is such a pain. Honestly I believe that there may not even anything wrong with my car. I know that all 96 and 97 models have this problem and I'm beginning to believe it could be something with the CPU. I will find out soon what the trouble codes are and I will probably take it back to Honda. I just feel like both of the dealerships that I have dealt with don't want to help me and they want to keep dragging out the time so that the warranty on my car will be up. It's just extremely frustating.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:54 PM

If your car is still under warranty and they don't want to fix it I'd ask them nicely one more time to repair it and stop dicking around and if they don't I'd call honda directly and tell them you're trying to be nice and trying to get the work done and the dealerships are jerking you around.... I'm kind of mean like that.... I don't know what good a warranty is if you can't get anything under warranty.... You paid for the right to have/use it.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 PM

Your right.. I have spoken with Honda Corp. and they had told me that they can't make any of their dealerships fix someone warranteed repairs. i also called the surgeon general and they had told me the same thing. Basically I have found out that any dealership can refuse at any time to fix your car. I am a woman and when i go to the dealerships I am very polite and understanding I just don't understand why the dealerships I am dealing with are having such a hard time with fixing my car. I can't stand having to go back and forth from the dealership to my house.(30+miles) I have been to two different dealerships about ten times trying to get my car fixed. Honestly I have given up in a way. I just feel like its pointless if I waste my time to take it to the dealership if they aren't doing anything to fix my car. Although I do need to get my car inspected... It's a big phat pain in the neck...

Old 04-06-2006, 06:28 PM

Have any of the dealerships ever hooked it up to a diagnostic machine to find out what the error code is? If they have post it here it may be something that would just be easier to fix yourself at this point... Something to check is I've heard that not screwing down the gas cap tight enough can cause that...I've been told to ensure that you go 3-4 clicks past when it's tight...Just a thought, post whatever info you can perhaps you can get it fixed yourself from info here....

Old 04-06-2006, 06:35 PM

I tried to get the diagnostic print outs but they will not let me have them. Which at this point I need to go and get a diagnostic done. When I do that I'll post the error codes. Thanx, Breeze

Old 04-06-2006, 07:13 PM

That's BS... I can only begin to imagine just how livid you're getting at this point... and for good reason... have you noticed when it comes on (consistent at all?) is the car acting funny?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:17 PM

The car is running great. Nothing weird is happening. At this point I have disconnected the light to the check engine light because I am tired of looking at it.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:23 PM

*L* well I suppose that works!

Quick Reply: check engine light