General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 PM
riceburner
Unregistered
Default check engine light

I'm new to the forum and I'm not a motor head by any means so please forgive me for the ? on this.I have a 97 honda accord that started missing on take off and kick down now the engine light comes on after a few minutes of starting the car up I've had it to three different mechanics with no real results the lat one unhooked a vaccum line I think.It seems to run o.k. and the overdrive is working but the light stil comes on after a few minutes of running.I plan on driving the car until it has no sheet metal left on it so I would like to get it fixed correctly.Also should I have the trans flushed? the car has about 150000 miles on it.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Default RE: check engine light

did any of the mechanics by chance tell you what the check engine code was? Have they repaired or replaced any parts or just looked at it and scratched their heads? Is it an Automatic?

If there was an engine code post it here and I'm sure someone will know what's going on....

Important question on a side note but do you by chance use bosch spark plugs?

If you don't have a maint record on it I would do the timing belt right now first thing...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Old 04-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

welcome......go to autozone and have them check the code(s). make sure to get the exact code. some of the 97's are obd compliant but some of them are not. if your car is obd 2 then autozone will check it for free. if it is not obd2 then you can check it for free by jumping the service connector and reading the flashes. call the last mechanic and ask him if your car is obd2 or not.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:30 PM

better idea......pull your ashtray completely out, and if you see a service connector behind it, then your car is obd 2.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:33 PM

make sure to get the exact code. it starts with a p and has 4 numbers after it.

ex... p0401

Old 04-19-2006, 07:44 PM

Your car is OBD II, and the connector will be behind the ash tray like lightshow said. Changing the trans fluid after that many miles isn't a bad idea. Check the trans for the level and color of fluid. the fluid should be bright red. Also, if you have the fluid changed make sure they flush the system. Don't have them drain and refill the pan because you only get some of the fluid out. Take it to somewhere where they will hook it up to a machine and flush it correctly. You could also do it yourself. I know the procedure but i have never done it before. If you wanna know ask ill post it. BTW, are your from HCF?

Old 04-20-2006, 02:37 AM

are your spark plugs old, are they in the correct order? I had a friend that had a bad piece in his ignition, the check engine light came on, but my code reader only pulled "error." Did an ignition tune up (distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs) everything back to normal, check engine light disappeared. fyi, the firing order is (from left to right) 1,3,4,2. I put mine on wrong one day, boy did that sound terrible [:-]

Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Hi There..did you go back and get that correct code number for us yet???
WheelBrokerAng

ORIGINAL: riceburner

I'm new to the forum and I'm not a motor head by any means so please forgive me for the ? on this.I have a 97 honda accord that started missing on take off and kick down now the engine light comes on after a few minutes of starting the car up I've had it to three different mechanics with no real results the lat one unhooked a vaccum line I think.It seems to run o.k. and the overdrive is working but the light stil comes on after a few minutes of running.I plan on driving the car until it has no sheet metal left on it so I would like to get it fixed correctly.Also should I have the trans flushed? the car has about 150000 miles on it.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 AM
riceburner
Unregistered

Sorry I have'nt had time yet, I'll try to do it tonite.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:51 AM
riceburner
Unregistered

I'm not sure what all they checked or how they done it but I dont think any use a code machine. One did change the egr valve the #3 fuel injector and some other things. On the plugs I do beleive they are boush and I changed them about 30000 miles ago

Quick Reply: check engine light