General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light code 43

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Rockwell
Unregistered
Default Check engine light code 43

I'm having a problem with hesitation when I acelerate. It usually happens when I'm in traffic for a while doing 25-35 mph then when I try to accellerate there's a hesitation that lasts for about 10 to 15 seconds. Yesterday may check engine light finally came on. I got a code 43.Drive a 1990 accord 152,000 miles. Any help would be great.This is my 1st post. I think this forums great, learned a lot.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Default RE: Check engine light code 43

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting with us. I copy/pasted this from another website (link at the bottom) but I think this should help you out. Let us know if you resolve it or if you have any more questions.

Accord Code 43: O2 Sensor? Q. Hi! I am desperately seeking an advice. I have a 1990 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder, automatic transmission, 144.000 miles fuel injected, cruise control, power steering and A/C. Two weeks ago the check engine light came on and I experience too low gas mileage. I did a self UCE/ECM code check which gave me a code 43 (based from research also and some advice from the net) its a O2 Sensor prob /fuel system. My questions are:
1. Is it really the O2 sensor?
2. Can I changed it myself?
3. What tools are needed?
4. Where can I buy the replacement?
5. Where is it located ? Your response/assistance is supre highly appreciated!
Art A. Okay Art, by the numbers. 1. Since I haven't personally looked at your car I can't say for sure it is a bad O2 sensor. It could be a bad O2 sensor as well as a bad fuel pressure regulator or a problem in the wiring. 2. Yes, you can change it yourself. All you need to do is unplug it and screw it out. When you install the new one, put a dab of anti-seize on the sensor threads. 3. A 22mm or 24mm box or open end wrench. There is a special O2 sensor socket you can but if you wish. 4. At a Honda dealer or any auto parts store. 5. Here's a picture of the O2 sensor location

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl419c.htm

Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Rockwell
Unregistered

Thanks for the info but I changed my O2 sensor about 6 months ago. Do you think I should replace it again? Thanks.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:25 PM

I'm not 100% certain on the test procedures but I would defenitly test it before you just throw some money at it. Make sure all of your wiring is good and has good contact first....

Old 05-25-2007, 05:43 PM

Recently I was throwing a code 43 too. While changing my header, I had to take off the O2 sensor. Upon inspection I noticed oil inside the grey connector of the O2 sensor, probably causing conflicting electrical signals. I sprayed it with cleaner to get rid of the oil inside and have not seen the problem again. I have no idea if your motor is leaking oil as well, but it may be worth checking before you buy a new sensor.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Rockwell

Thanks for the info but I changed my O2 sensor about 6 months ago. Do you think I should replace it again? Thanks.
If your car is an ex check check the sensor and wires for oil contmination from a leak above it.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:07 PM

If your car is an ex check check the sensor and wires for oil contmination from a leak above it.
Ha ha I said it first!

Old 05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Code 43 [the dreaded code 43 ]
Fuel Supply System; the true meaning was lost in translation from Hondaeese to Japaneese to Englisheese.
it means the Oxygen Sensor is reporting a rich condition officially "unburned oxides".
So I would agree the O2 sensor misreading could cause the code; however there are a lot of other things to check out that also cause a rich condition.
Weak spark, fuel pressure regulator, injector leak thru...etc.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Rockwell
Unregistered

You guys are good. I didhave some fluid in the gray connector.
looked like brake or power steering fluid. I cleaned the connector out and that seems to have took care of the problem. Now I just have to find the leak. Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

I'm bringing up this old thread, because I had the code 43 come up on my car. The O2 sensor was changed (by me) about a month ago. My car only had the code 41 when the O2 sensor was bad. The resistance was either zero in infinity when I tested it via procedure in shop manual. So for one month the car has run fine with the new O2 sensor.

I have only had this code 43 once and it hasn't come back once I cleared the ECU. I will recheck the connector and maybe use some dielectric grease in there.

My question is: What is the O2 sensor reading in the exhause that causes this code? HondaDude - what unburned oxides is the O2 sensor detecting? Partially burned gas - meaning too much fuel or weak spark?

The shop manual diagnostic diagram says its either the O2 sensor (new) or the fuel supply system (a lot of crap to check there).

Quick Reply: Check engine light code 43