General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chipped ECU alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Default Chipped ECU alternative

So I guess Ill be looking back into tuning. Theres no tuner around here but i Do wanna get more out of my car. Is there an alternative to a p28 chipped ecu for custom tuning? I want to still be able to use the obd2 port to monitor my car. Custom obd2 ecus?

I see options, I'm just looking for advice on them. Or should I just wait for a better car to do all this? I still have my heart set on an 04/5 tsx. My accord is a practice car really.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 01-18-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

A chipped ecu isnt going to get much if anything more out of a stock engine. And there really isn't anything to tune obd2 short of kpro which is obviously only for k series engines/ecus.

I would just hold off on it for now. But if you really want to check out phearable.net

Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer
So I guess Ill be looking back into tuning. Theres no tuner around here but i Do wanna get more out of my car. Is there an alternative to a p28 chipped ecu for custom tuning? I want to still be able to use the obd2 port to monitor my car. Custom obd2 ecus?

I see options, I'm just looking for advice on them. Or should I just wait for a better car to do all this? I still have my heart set on an 04/5 tsx. My accord is a practice car really.
If you want a car which is "chippable" (at least in a meaningful way), you need to save up for something with a turbocharger.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM

Ok. I know there are sites where I can send in my ecu and get whatever done to it. This car is an experiment and its giving me a few issues. I think the ECU may just need to be altered.
kpro could be used with a tsx. I think i may wanna turbocharge it if I get one.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Ok. I know there are sites where I can send in my ecu and get whatever done to it. This car is an experiment and its giving me a few issues. I think the ECU may just need to be altered.
kpro could be used with a tsx. I think i may wanna turbocharge it if I get one.
What are you trying to accomplish by reprogramming the ECU?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Although I have bolt ons, ive been having some performance issues. I think with a tuned ecu it would help out with the increase in airflow through the engine.
Performance is gained and then lost, never to be found again...

Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Performance is gained and then lost, never to be found again...
Have you considered testing individual sensors to see if one of them is flaking out? TPS, MAP, ECT, etc. Fuel pressure in spec?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM

I have been. They all seem normal. TexasHonda checked them too. I've had a bit of a breakthrough with the IAT sensor. I think the EGR gases arent cooling down enough. But even then im kinda interested in having the ecu tuned for the mods. The ecu can only adapt so much and its meant for how it was originally designed.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

But even then im kinda interested in having the ecu tuned for the mods.
What mods?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Performance Exhaust and header, f23 manifold, CAI, and TB spacer

Quick Reply: Chipped ECU alternative