General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cigarette Lighter Access - 2001 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:03 AM
Default Cigarette Lighter Access - 2001 Accord

I'd like to make my lighter powered 'full time', rather than just when ignition is on. I would have jumped the fuse terminal to something 'full time hot', but it appears that fuse also powers the radio, so I guess I need to unplug the line at the lighter, and run a separate 'always hot' line

How do I get at the lighter's wire attach point, without damaging trim?

As to power source, I'm guessing the closest 'hot' lead would be the Hazard flasher, or, if needed, run a line over to the fuse panel.

Any suggestions welcome

tia

DB

Old 04-26-2015, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Best to pull the console and then the two screws holding the "plate" the socket is in.

Then you can get to the two wire plug to the socket. Then you'll need to run an "always hot" wire to the socket - WHT/RED wire on factory wire.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks for your post. Couple of clarifications for someone who's never tackled interior trim.

Any posts here on removing the console - GREATLY appreciated. I found a few, but could not be sure it was my Yr/Model.

Also- nice tip on 'hot wires' Just to be sure, re- "WHT/RED" Which color is the striping?

Thanks again,

DB

Old 04-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

You may be able to find some youtube videos for your car.

I'd highly recommend buying a shop manual for your accord. You can get one over at automanualsource.com for $22 and download as a pdf. It is definitely worth the investment for DIY work.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:30 PM

Ordered ! Thanks

Old 04-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

On your generation Accord, the car came from the factory with an accessory power socket (e.g., to use to power/charge various electronic devices).

The cigarette lighter (i.e., to light a cigarette, cigar, etc.) was an add-on Honda accessory. If you have the "cigarette lighter" add-on, it is not necessary to remove the center console to access the wiring there to have it "hot" all the time. -- The cigarette lighter accessory used a separate wire harness and cigarette lighter relay. The cigarette lighter relay was located behind the driver's kick panel cover.

Are you referring to the stock power socket or do you have the "cigaratte lighter" add-on?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM

Wow- Switch it to 'hot' without tearing into anything. Given my inexperience with prying out trim (withOUT damage) I'm very hopeful.

<<Are you referring to the stock power socket or do you have the "cigaratte lighter" add-on? <g>

Let me check the manual, take some pics, and I get back on that.

DB

Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM

You're right (as usual - Yes it's a "Power Outlet", not a lighter. Anyway, here's a pic- http://cl.ly/an48/MYpwr%20outlet%20copy.jpg

So that means no relay, and I’m back to pulling the console or radio panel to isolate the power outlet lead? Interesting a $5 power outlet shares a circuit with a $500 cd/radio. No relays or circuit workarounds to separate the two?

Thanks again for your patience, gents

DB

Old 04-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

The WHT with RED stripe wire from the factory relay powers both. So if you want the socket hot at all times, you will need to cut the WHT/RED wire to the socket, then run it to a fused always hot source....be sure to cap/cover the other end of the WHT/RED wire as you don't want it flopping around as you are driving and short out on something

Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Just for informational purposes:

Although yours doesn't have the cigarette lighter add-on, this image is where the separate cigarette lighter relay would have been after running the separate wire harness.

Two of the wires to that relay could be connected together to have it hot all the time.

Attached Thumbnails Cigarette Lighter Access - 2001 Accord-cigarette-lighter-relay.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Access - 2001 Accord