General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Civic Is Overall Better Then A Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Default RE: Civic Is Overall Better Then A Accord?

The Civic is an entry level vehicle, no doubt about it....

I bet a lot of you didn't know that until just a few years ago the Civic didn't even come from the factory with A/C installed?

Wewould install them at the Honda dealership, along with the A/C systems on the Accord DX units. When the vehicle would come in by transport truck, a Honda A/C kit would follow by delivery truck. The kit only took about 1 1/2 hours to install...Because it paid 6 hours to install at the Honda dealership, that meant there was 4 1/2 hours of gravy.

I still have a partial A/C kit upstairs in the shop and took a couple of photos of it so you could see what I'm talking about.

The Civic has improved though and is now the same size as the '94 thru '97 Accord. But it still is an entry level car and a marketing tool....Because ifyou spend just a little more $$$, you will get a whole lot more Honda.

Tocompare the Civic to the Accord islikecomparing the Acura TSX to the Acura TL. I would take the TL over the TSX any day....Even the 2009 TSX, which is a glorified 2008 HondaAccord with an Acura emblem on the grill.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/341F1F83FFB24F0EB658DC77C64E5C81.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/6A7B8172468243488FFEA61CE85782A0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Hi all,

I have a1999 honda Accord, 5 spd, 4 cyl sedan, 2 honda civic sedans one 5 spd manual and the other 4 spd auto. The 5 spd manual civic is getting 35 miles per gallon city (K&N and fuel filter replacement and a tune up recently performed and oil change). The auto civic is getting 33-35 mpg on NJ highway (just K&N air filter). The Accord gets 25-27 mpg city (K&N air filter). I got 34 mpg on highway driving to up state NY from NJ.

Yes the accord has a much better feel to it when driving at high speeds. I like the civic because it easy on your wallet. The maintenance cost is cheaper for a civic then the Accord.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Maintenance cost is no cheaper on an Accord (4 or 6 cyl.)vs a Civic.....

And insome cases, more expensive. There are far more Accords on the road than Civics. So the parts are usually cheaper. Price a Genuine Honda Accord steel wheel or wheel cover to the same year model Civic wheel or wheel cover and see for yourself. A lot of Civic parts are higher. The Civic is also built cheaper, and the trim pieces don't have near the integrity of the Accord. Also, have you ever considered that the Civic was sort of the test car to see if somethingwould go overwell?

Alot of times Honda will test it on a Civicbeforeincluding it on the Accord.....Want a couple ofexamples? Ok.

1. The Civic VX in 1992....Had two possible VTEC engine configuartions....VTEC for Performance....and VTEC for fuel efficiencey...The Accord did not have a VTEC engine until 1994.

2. The CVT transmission....Which went aboutas good as a very loud poot wouldgo during a church service.

The best car that Honda makes, without a doubt, is the Honda Accord.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: JkillaAcc02

Accords always been a luxury vehicle with "space"
Since when did Honda become a luxury vehicle?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

ORIGINAL: Accord Owner

ORIGINAL: blacknight07644

Technically, this is like discussing apples vs. oranges.
The Civic and Accord are in two totally different classes.
The Civic is a Compact and the Accord is a Full Size.
You can't compare the Accord to a Corolla nor can you compare a Civic to an Altima

Concerning Luxury, Look at the standard and available options for each EX vehicle.

I thought the Acura was luxury.

Since when did Honda's become a luxury vehicle?
Never said they were luxury vehicles, we were discussing the luxuries of a Civic vs. Accord. Nowadays you'll find just about everything an Acura has in an EX Honda.
So why do people pay high prices for an Acura?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 PM

I have heard that the Accord has A/C problems in the long run, is this true?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Anyone drive a 2005 Honda Accord LX SE Coupe?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

About the same pounds of steel in Chevy,Accord, Acura, & small Mercedes. Why do you suppose they cost so much different?? Prestige, and the fact that each carmaker has decided what price they can get away with asking...

Supply & demand.

It's a CAR. Go test-drive them all & decide which one YOU like best.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM

I always wondered taht about Acuras also.
Why do they require premium gas on Naturally Aspirated cars.
Most cars that are turbo.super charged require premium gas

Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Is S2000 the Honda's best line?

Quick Reply: Civic Is Overall Better Then A Accord?