General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To clean or not to clean

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default To clean or not to clean

This is my 1st post here,and I am glad to be here.
I purchased a 93'Accord LX 2-door 4 days ago and the car seems to run perfect.186,XXX miles,no knocks,putters or rattles.All the service the last ten years has been done by Honda,with Honda parts.(I have receipts and records)The guy was **** about changing oil,and regular maintenance but never ran anything (Cyclops reaches over to his can of worms and opens it) like seafoam,MMO,etc in the oil or any fuel additives.Just change oil,filter,good gas,rinse and repeat.
The car currently has Mobil-1 syn,and I intend to keep running syn(But Valvoline syn-power,not Mobil-1)So my question(s) are...
If the car has never had a good "cleaning" at 186,000 miles my instincts tell me to run some seafoam,or at least some MMO in her,but if she is already running good,should I even bother?
Same question for the fuel.There seems to be no problems,but maybe some preventive maintenance with some Lucas,MMO,or techron?
The only reason I'm torn over "to clean or not to clean" is that normally when I get a second hand car,it has some sort of knock,ping or hesitation so its a no brainer to try and get rid of it.
Your answers and Honda wisdom is appreciated.
--The cyclops--
Name:  DSCF1237.jpg
Views: 4380
Size:  76.7 KB
Name:  DSCF1228.jpg
Views: 4500
Size:  113.1 KB

Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

The short answer is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I wouldn't use seafoam unless you see signs of leaking or burning oil.

For the fuel treatment, people swear by the Chevron Techron cleaner. Heard good things with the Lucas stuff too. It won't hurt to use that.

Look at the previous owner's maintenance records to see when the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs were changed. Change when they are due.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Nice looking car.....if it ain't broke.....

If you are worried, then go for it. I personally use SeaFoam every now and then on mine...follow the directions on the can and you will be fine.....at 186K, plenty of life left IF you take care of it. Set your base line if the documents don't support it (tune up, fluid-engine and trans, ect)

EDIT: Well, it seems PA and I are somewhat one the same page...

Last edited by poorman212; 07-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Nice looking car.....if it ain't broke.....

If you are worried, then go for it. I personally use SeaFoam every now and then on mine...follow the directions on the can and you will be fine.....at 186K, plenty of life left IF you take care of it. Set your base line if the documents don't support it (tune up, fluid-engine and trans, ect)

EDIT: Well, it seems PA and I are somewhat one the same page...
Yes it does appear that way,haha
I do hope at 186,000 I have plenty of life in her,and I will definitely take care of the car.He apparently took very good care mechanically but NEVER washed the car,inside or out.It took me almost 2 hours to do the small interior of the accord.Now I am OC about the cleanliness of my car,but I dont believe he ever done the interior or exterior save for a simple wash or vacumn once a year,if at all.No rips or holes,just dirty.
So the consensus view is keep up the maintenance,treat her good...and if it aint broke....Dont fix it.Got it.
Any thoughts on switching from the mobil-1 to Valvoline Syn?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 PM

everyone has their preference. they are both good oils.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Wow looks good. Wish mine looked half as good as yours, mine has the clearcoat coming off and rust spots and all with some parts totally missing.

The interior was dirty on mine too but I'm obsessive about stuff like that so I spent a good week (couple of hours each day) cleaning everything out, laundering the floor mats, removing all of the dead skin and hair left by the previous owner, replacing the foam in the rotted speakers and fixing all of the weird things the previous owner did like ripping the fabric off where the speaker bezel is and breaking the door handle in half. Now it looks great inside.

I also got some money out of it, $.65 in the change box by the steering wheel some pieces of candy and an unopened bottle of diet Coca-Cola that's vintage. If you haven't cleaned the interior yet you should try it. Really makes a difference I think.

On a similar topic I noticed that a lot of people use the Seafoam. Is it safe for the OP to even consider using it? I heard Honda doesn't recommend it because it eats away at the rubber or fouls up the spark plugs. I've really wanted to try that and some other fuel injector cleaners but I was too afraid. That and the obnoxious smoke screen coming out of the back might be too embarassing.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Keep it coming guys!!! Im taking it all in....Im gonna stock up on everything new and at the next scheduled oil change(In 2000 miles) Im gonna have oil, filter,coolant,power steering fluid,synthetic gear oil,new plugs,wires,air filter and fuel filter.Pretty much just stockpile every little thing I can do myself and spend a day doing it.
Which brings another question...Changing things like the gear oil and power steering fluid (if they are not leaking or low)is this pointless? I heard that these 2 fluids "stay clean" without too much worry.
@messaround-Yes I cleaned the interior from top to bottom and cleaned what looked to be bong resin off the rear window The dash and vinyl just absorbed my armor-all like a sponge,after 4 applications it finally "took"and the interior is shiny new.The car is a 7.5 or 8 cosmetically and a solid 9 mechanically.I really lucked up on this car.I sold my Honda shadow on a friday,looked all weekend for a car on craigslist to buy 1st thing monday.On a whim I looked at the next town over and found this car listed for $1500.I went to look at it on monday (An hour away),haggled him to $1250 and left with a smile on my face.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Name:  DSCF1230.jpg
Views: 5225
Size:  88.5 KB
Name:  DSCF1232.jpg
Views: 4566
Size:  88.3 KB

Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So whata ya say I add a cold air intake,17'rims,and a big fat muffler and go all "fast and furious on ya???
I actually like that "look"but dont have that kind of money...

Last edited by the cyclops; 07-20-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Administrator
Thumbs up I Had One Just The Same Color As This One...

And I know what would look good on it cuz I had one..Look at these two items..what do you think about these ?
Nice Aren't They !

Click the light picture 2 to 3x's and the muffler also...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails To clean or not to clean-honda90%7E931accordtails.jpg   To clean or not to clean-pt1004_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: To clean or not to clean