General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicking main relay/won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:22 AM
Default Clicking main relay/won't start

Hello, I'm new to this so here goes. Just bought 95 Accord lx for my daughter to use away at school. Was told that car needed water pump and air bags. (SRS Light stays on) Driving car home notice coolant leak in oil cooler hose. Found out that the engine in the car was out of a 93 accord. Changes water pump and timing belts while in there and the air bags. (SRS light still on, will not reset) Car ran great for several hours then would not start. Notice that there was no fuel pump prime so I check the relay. Looked good but went ahead and touched it up. Put it back in and car started. Ran about 5 min and CEL came on and car stopped. Waited 20 sec and light went off and car started. Car ran 15 min at idle CEL came on and it stopped again. Then main relay started this clicking noise, I can hear the fuel pump priming intermittently. Tried to pull code from CEL but it does not blink while the SRS light does blink on and off and relay clicking. Checked my ground wires a couple times and still the same thing. My baby girl just got home for spring break and I need to get it going for here to go back to school in 3 days.
Desperately in need of HELP Pleasssssssssssssse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:25 AM

Since the post I changed the cables and now it will start but the CEL come on in 2-3 sec and shuts down shortly their after.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:42 AM

Welcome to HAF! Keep us posted on how the car runs and if you have any other questions. Regarding the SRS light there are a few things to start with. Did you manually reset the SRS with the SRS service connector? Second if there is a voltage drop within the first ten seconds of startup that affects the SRS startup check mode that will cause the system to shut off and the light will come on. There are a few common causes for this. Have you ever seen the check engine light code for the EGR system or any other codes?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 AM

I'm a DYI'er so I've been searching for the information as i go. I've tried 2 different ways on the resetting the SRS light and both had no effect. The SRS-SC (under the driver side)and the MES (under the passenger side) to SRS-SC. I hope I"m using the right acronyms. Both failed to change or reset it.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 AM

To clear SRS. Turn ignition switch off, remove SRS two pin service connector. the two pin service connector. Turn key to on position, the SRS light comes on for about six seconds and goes off. Within four seconds of light going off disconnect the jumper. The SRS light will come on again, reconnect the jumper within four seconds of the light coming on. When the SRS light goes off again disconnect the jumper within four seconds. The SRS should blink two times indicating the SRS memory has been erased. Note you have to clear the code with the yellow two pin service connector located on the driverside interior near the fuse panel. It is a deadend connector that does not plug into other wires, it will plug into a blank connector with no pins that simply holds it in place.

I still would like to know if you are getting any other engine codes. Onces again welcome to the HAF site and good luck.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Okay followed your instructions however in stead of the SRS light blinking twice at the end, it did a contentious blinking. What does that mean?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM

How many times did you try it? If you have a service jumper and watch the light I recommend learning the pattern and reset it while watching the light for the on and off patterns so you don't have to look at the connector. If you get it right the system will reset until.

If the system does not reset after KNOWING that the procedure was done correctly and multiple attempts have been made trying getting the SRS code(s) again. Jump the SRS service connector and watch the light, for example two long blinks followed by one short blink means code 21. If it blinks multiple short blinks after plunging the jumper in and turning the key on then the computer is indicating that the system is normal.

Once again I would like to know if the are any engine codes. You need to use the service connector under the glove box for that.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 AM

Please note that if you don't get the timing correct it will not reset. Learn the pattern and watch the light. With service MES connected light on then goes off, immediately remove jumper, light comes on reconnect MES jumper immediately, light off goes off immediately remove MES jumper. Light will blink two times.

Timing is critical. Key has to be off, connect the jumper, once you turni the key on so the dash lights come on and see the SRS light go off time is ticking... Try it again as it should reset. If there is a problem it will come back on at the next startup.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
How many times did you try it? If you have a service jumper and watch the light I recommend learning the pattern and reset it while watching the light for the on and off patterns so you don't have to look at the connector. If you get it right the system will reset until.

If the system does not reset after KNOWING that the procedure was done correctly and multiple attempts have been made trying getting the SRS code(s) again. Jump the SRS service connector and watch the light, for example two long blinks followed by one short blink means code 21. If it blinks multiple short blinks after plunging the jumper in and turning the key on then the computer is indicating that the system is normal.

Once again I would like to know if the are any engine codes. You need to use the service connector under the glove box for that.
Okay. I attempted it 3 times. When I was waiting for the it to give me the two blinks to say reset it started blinking contentiously. The first time it blinked 12 times before I started over. The second and third times it got up to 18 times before I stopped it. The CEL reset itself, so I will restart the car until it comes back on. It has no been giving me any code. It just stays on after it shuts down the car.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:30 PM

Good luck. I can't stand autocorrect when typing...

Quick Reply: Clicking main relay/won't start