General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking near fuse box 87 accord dx

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Clicking near fuse box 87 accord dx

I replaced the fuel pump because it was not engaging when I turned the switch. It ran for a few days and would randomly stop so I replaced the relay, still the same issue BUT now there's a clicking near the fuse box and all symptoms are the same. The relay clicking is attached to the body of the car, silver and has nippondenso on it.

I'm getting a new ignition switch other that I'm at a loss. Ideas?!?!

Last edited by oldtimewine; 07-07-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Car make and model
Old 07-09-2016, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Being a "DX" I can assume the car has a carb and not fuel injected.

The relay for the pump is "in" the fuse box so it sounds like you've replaced it and it is another relay making the noise........do you have a pic or better description of the location and I can try to figure out which one is making the noise and what it might "power"?

Old 07-09-2016, 07:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 87 accord dx main relay location HELP!!

I cannot find the main relay in my 87' accord dx (carb). The manual says left side of steering column but I've pulled everything apart with no luck. Seat is out and ive laid under it for an hour lookong. I have to move my car by today so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Only the Fuel Injected Accord's have the "main relay".

If you have a "carb" then there is a fuel pump relay in the fuse box.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have replaced the relay in the fuse box, the pump and ignition switch. All fuses are in good shape. The relay I'm looking for is the powertrain relay. It's been called so many things so idk at this point but according to my manual it is the main fuel pump relay not the one in the back of the fuse box.

Originally Posted by poorman212
Only the Fuel Injected Accord's have the "main relay".

If you have a "carb" then there is a fuel pump relay in the fuse box.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Was just trying to help....good luck.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

You were right. They gave me the wrong part. The clicking is a silver box labeled nippondenso, honda part # 39796-se0-003, realy assy p.t.c. Its a discontinued part so I'm at a loss.

The clicking is a single click when I turn the key.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I didnt mean to avoid the question. I apologize. This is the only pic I can find of it.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~relay~assy~39796-se0-003.html

Originally Posted by poorman212
Was just trying to help....good luck.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Can you take a picture of the location of this relay that is clicking? Take it from further back, so we can see the location in the engine bay.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Again, if you could take a picture and give a bit of detail about the location we might be able to help with what relay you are hearing.

The relay in the link you posted does not control the fuel pump. That is relay in your link is actually under the hood of the car.

I don't want to come off as an "a hole" but I think the only combination of 3rd gen (86-89) Accord I have not owned and worked on is the 3 door ones.

For grins I even went outside and looked under the drivers dash of the 89 LXi (fuel injected) Accord I still have trying to find a "silver relay"....didn't find one.

The "main relay" on the FI cars, is located above and to the left of the fuse box. Pull the coin holder thing to the left of the steering wheel. Look through that opening to the left (fender) and up.

This is a pic I took of the one on the 89 LXi outside. In the pic you can't really see the main relay but you can see the wire connector going into it. For perspective, that black cable starting from the lower left is the hood release cable.

Attached Thumbnails Clicking near fuse box 87 accord dx-3rd-gen-main-relay-pic.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 07-10-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Clicking near fuse box 87 accord dx