General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicking sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Clicking sound when turning

Hi everyone. new to this site. I just picked up a 94 Accord 2dr. and I have a clicking sound coming from the pass side when I turn. I am suspecting a bearing or cv joint? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

More than likely a cv joint,you can easily inspect it,look for tearing from the boot,both inner and out ends.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, I will look into that on friday.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Do you think this is something that I could do myself with out any special tools? I am fairly savy in working on vehicles, thou I have never done this procedure before. My area is more in the electronic installation. I guess I am asking how hard it would be to do it. If the boot is torn, am I looking at replacing the whole cv joint, or just new boots themselves?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 PM

From personal experiences,replacing the boot alone turned out not to solve the problem,simply because once you lose the grease inside the cv joint,you start to develop friction as a result of lack of grease.The clicking noise not only tells you that your cv joint is bad,but also the ***** that are constantly rotating inside the boot are bad,and replacing just the boot would do nothing but continue to click after a while.

My suggestion after all is said,replace the cv joint assembly, haha the jobis far different from what your field is i asume,there are plenty of DIY instructions online.Took me 30 minutes to change mine on my old 98 accord.

good luck

Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by cjdm98
From personal experiences,replacing the boot alone turned out not to solve the problem,simply because once you lose the grease inside the cv joint,you start to develop friction as a result of lack of grease.The clicking noise not only tells you that your cv joint is bad,but also the ***** that are constantly rotating inside the boot are bad,and replacing just the boot would do nothing but continue to click after a while.

My suggestion after all is said,replace the cv joint assembly, haha the jobis far different from what your field is i asume,there are plenty of DIY instructions online.Took me 30 minutes to change mine on my old 98 accord.

good luck
this is a great advice from cjdm98. Hope everything works out

Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 PM

yes. like everyone said, its most likely the cv joint..and like cdj said..if you just try to replace the boot, it wouldnt really do you any good cuz the mechanical stuff is already bad...just replace the cv joint assembly...

Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thank you. you guys are so willing to help with advise. its great. and yes, very far from my area of expertise.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Cool

I just replaced both CV joint axle shafts on my 97 Accord.

I bought them online and went with a brand called EMPI. Supposed to be very good quality axles, got them at partsgeek.com

Job was easier then I thought, only problem was getting the 36MM wheel nut off. Had to actually cut one side off with a cutting wheel.

After that it went well, if you do it yourself and can give you a little more info.

JM

Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM

Wow, had to cut one side off? Haha. I've never had a problem throwing a 36mm wrench on there and jumping on it

I have also bought EMPI axles and they were pretty good. The boots didn't crack in the 20k miles until I totaled the car.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound when turning