General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Fluid Flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Cool Clutch Fluid Flush

I'm wondering how often a clutch fluid flush should be done and when you can tell it needs to be done. Spring is coming so I wanna start fine tuning my car. Its been two years since the clutch fluid was flushed when they did the clutch.

Preventative maintenance? Necessary? Or just a waste of money at this point?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

What fluid did you use? It absorbs moisture from the air & becomes corrosive, so that part is pretty much identical to the reasons for brake fluid flushing.

DOT3 fluid has lower boiling points, but generally tends to absorb moisture slower. My feeling is this is good for clutch and if you don't overheat your brakes it's good for brakes too. Maybe 3-years is an OK interval.

DOT4 fluid has higher boiling points but tends to absorb moisture faster. If you make a habit of overheating the brakes (track?) it might be better, but maybe change it every 2 years instead of 3.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM

Ok. So It seems worth it to do it about now. I think I wanna do it myself but I cant find where to bleed the clutch. Its not even in the FSM. I think theres a screw on the bottom of the clutch housing but am not entirely sure.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

On the slave cyl there should be a bleeder - the slave is on the trans. Bleeding the clutch system can be a pain. A vac type bleeder might be a good idea if you've never done this before.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Ok. What ive read, its basically the same as doing the brakes. The fluid goes full circle from the master cylinder to the clutch then the slave cylinder? Or am I better off paying a mechanic?
I cant find too much info on it surprisingly.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

The clutch is a bit different than the brakes.

Again, this is just me and others will have info and or questions about the following - we all have our opinions. I'm old and stuck in my ways that work "for me".

With brakes you have three "other" closed systems. This allows for added resistance to the pedal as you are bleeding the air/system.

With the clutch there is only one path. IMHO, when bleeding the clutch you need a very good helper pushing the pedal and you have be quick with the wrench. As with any bleeding the wrench controls the "drop"/bleeding of the system. IMO you never want the clutch or brake pedal to reach the "end" of travel with the bleeder open.

You want the "pusher" to hold steady pressure on the pedal, then you open the bleeder to the point where the old fluid/air begins to come out.....but at the same time close it off before the pedal gets to the end of its travel - not to the floor.

The pusher pumps - not to the floor - to build more pressure and repeat...and repeat...and repeat.

A hand held vac pump (~$30 from many places) is another way. If you are going to do some work on brakes or hyd clutch systems....it is worth the investment.....and it can/will do more than brakes/clutch systems......vac testing....apply vac, ect.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Yeah, I saw a few at harbor freight and considered getting one but couldnt think of the applications to justify it other than a few random things I dont usually do anyways. But I guess Ill buy one.
I may wanna find someone who knows what theyre doing with clutch bleeding then. But someone who will help without charge. Thats one repair I dont wanna pay for again. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I just wrote up something over in DIY.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...15/#post312061

Last edited by JimBlake; 02-19-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 AM

Great, thanks, Ill bookmark it

Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

This is a great topic that is relevant, and valuable to me, thanks!

Quick Reply: Clutch Fluid Flush