General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Default clutch upgrade?

ok so call me dumb or whatever but i was out on a backroad with a friend(we call it burnout road because thats all anyone does on this road) but i figured i would see if i could get my tires to spin....so i stopped and pulled the ebrake (keeping my finger on the button) and put it in 1st, reved it to about 4500-5000 rpms and dumped the clutch...which proceded to slip and give that wonderful burnt clutch smell...i was dissapointed. my clutch is pretty worn as you have to let the pedal almost all the way out before it grabs but i figured it would spin the tires at least...am i doing something wrong or is my clutch just a pansy? if my clutch is just a pansy are there any better ones out there? how hard is it to change a clutch in one of these cars?

Old 04-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: clutch upgrade?

id dedicate a weekend to it. yea your clutch is probably on its way out.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:04 PM

Ok,, you said it..............................DUMB.............. ....you must have extra money to spend ,,if you pull stuff like that..you really reduce the life of the clutch considerably . but ehy,, your car, your money..as long as you are happy

Old 04-16-2006, 04:44 PM

yeah its just a little car to screw around with...no big plans for it...just some wheels and tires and such. as for the clutch it slipped for maybe a second at most...i had my foot back on it pretty quick but i had planned on replaceing it anyway. it still shifts fine and everything so i guess thats a plus(this was like 2 weeks ago that i did this) any good brands that wont kill my wallet out there? i know virtually nothing about the aftermarket for these cars. also....what about short throw shifters? they make those for these? sorry if all my questions are getting on your nerves i am still learning all these things about these cars...i was born, raised and taught lots about GM/ford stuff but i think in 3 generations i am the only one to buy a honda out of 6 mechanics in the family...and i dont know much about them.... except whoever designed the vacume nightmare that controls the carb must have been on some crazy stuff cause no one in their right mind would wanna change a carb on one of these things.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:17 PM

Advanced clutch technology (ACT) makes some stronger clutches with more grab. Haha get a 3 puck and you'll burn those tires!

Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 AM

i dont need some crazy clutch for a 400hp turbo setup or anything...just something with a bit more pressure than a factory one.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:36 PM

If your engine isn't modified you could probably do just fine with a stock replacement but if you'd like some extra grab you could go to an exedy Stage 1 Clutch which ads a bit more grab for about $275.00

http://www.tunerschoice.com/xq/aspx/...qx/Product.htm

or call one of our sponsor websites/companies and they could probably hook you up.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:51 PM

exedy clutch

just go with the regular one, it wont smoke out when you dump it. your tire will light right up

Old 04-17-2006, 05:28 PM

ok now i know this is kinda off the topic but what about a LSD? they make a decent one for these cars?

Old 04-17-2006, 11:34 PM

yea you could get an lsd

Quick Reply: clutch upgrade?