General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cold air intake YES OR NO???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Default Cold air intake YES OR NO???

1999 honda accord ex automatic 4 cyl. im thinking of adding a K&M or AEM cold air intake. but before i jump the gun i want to know.... is there really any gain? please im getting a hard time getting a clear answer.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tylor Briery
1999 honda accord ex automatic 4 cyl. im thinking of adding a K&M or AEM cold air intake. but before i jump the gun i want to know.... is there really any gain? please im getting a hard time getting a clear answer.
It depends upon what you call a "Gain"...

If your idea of a gain is a couple of horsepower up at redline at wide open throttle, then yes, you might actually eek out two or three horsepower.

The above said, if you're looking for a meaningful gain in drivability (i.e. mid-range torque), then don't waste your time as like as not, you'll actually lose a bit of torque in the mid power bands.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Almost A Senior Member

If you haven't changed your spark plugs in a while, I would do that first. My car didn't have any power at low rpm until I changed out the old worn spark plugs to the ones specified in the manual.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Just had the spark plugs and wires changed. Well for now I just want a little more kick to it. Eventually I'm going to be getting a turbo so I'm not looking for a super huge boost yet.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tylor Briery
Just had the spark plugs and wires changed. Well for now I just want a little more kick to it. Eventually I'm going to be getting a turbo so I'm not looking for a super huge boost yet.
A little more "kick" implies low to mid range torque, those are something a CAI manifestly cannot provide. Save your money until you're ready for the full turbo setup and do it right.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 PM

There will be a little gain but nothing thatll make your jaw drop. Itll more than likely just be a "seat of the pants" feel and mostly on the top end of the RPM range. I think it is kinda worth it if youre not on a really tight budget. I plan on putting one on mine eventually.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Can someone who has actually installed one comment as to which the best one is for 99 accords?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bellend
Can someone who has actually installed one comment as to which the best one is for 99 accords?
You're asking something which cannot be answered unless you offer more information about what you're looking to accomplish by adding a CAI to your car. Said another way, there is no one right answer.

In the end, the only thing you're really going to gain from the installation of a CAI is more noise from your engine; beyond that, there is virtually nothing positive a CAI (of any make or model) will do for your car.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO - the only thing you might gain.....a cleanable filter for your car. If anyone has a true dyno sheet showing before and after numbers that prove me worng - then I'm wrong.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
IMHO - the only thing you might gain.....a cleanable filter for your car. If anyone has a true dyno sheet showing before and after numbers that prove me worng - then I'm wrong.
I'd love to see the dyno sheets as well, if the products offered significant gains (or any at all) the manufacturer would release the dyno sheets.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake YES OR NO???