General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Confirmed fix - Blower motor working strangely

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Default Confirmed fix - Blower motor working strangely

I have a 2004 Accord LX sedan. On the way home the blower motor stopped working. I checked all the fuses involved and swapped relays per many other threads and all were fine. I pulled the blower motor and connected it directly to the battery with clip leads and it spun immediately. I bit the bullet and replaced the transistor and it WORKED.... for about 5 minutes. All of the settings worked correctly, fan speeds, AC, heat, all worked fine. I thought is was fixed. On the way home from Autozone, it stopped again. Fan wouldn't work on any speed. Got home after telling my wife her car was fixed just too tell her again that it didn't work. She went out, started the car, and the fan worked, full blast.... however the control **** was off. Turning the **** to any setting doesn't change, just full blast. Took the new transistor off and plugged the old one in, started the car, nothing, on any speed. Plugged the new transistor back in, started the car, full blast... with the control **** off and every control speed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this could get pretty pricey at a shop or the dealer.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Something is damaging the transistor causing a fail open in first case and fail-shorted in second case.

Suggest having alternator output inspected for possible high voltage or spiked (rapidly pulsing) voltage.

Try googling for Accord blower motor for others w/ similar problem. First I've heard of repeated failures.

good luck

Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Check out this thread. In YOUR case, you can do the tests with an eye towards finding problems in the wiring between components. Got a mult-meter and know how to do electrical troubleshooting?

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-2006-a-36131/

Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM

TexasHonda, thanks for your reply. An Alternator problem kinda makes sense. While checking the voltage in the wire to the blower motor, my multimeter was pulsing like that but i thought my multimeter was unreliable because it showed infinite resistance in the resistor wires and on the brand new resistor. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the alternator?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM

JimBlake, thanks for your reply. Your thread is one that i kept referring to while i was checking everything. When I checked the resistance between the 2 wires farthest from the latch (4 door), my multimeter showed OL. But it also showed OL on the brand new resistor so I didn't know if that was a reliable reading.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 AM

JimBlake, also, I tried to touch the resistor's blue/black wire to a ground using clip leads, it sparked, and didn't turn the blower on.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

the aftermarket blower transistors are sketchy at best. from the symptoms you described, i bet you got a bum one. go to Honda and get one...betcha a large lunch at a drive up window that fixes it.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Jeff, thanks for your reply. That's what my wife kept saying. "I think you got a bad part". I wonder if I would get my money back from Autozone...

Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Don Tomas
Jeff, thanks for your reply. That's what my wife kept saying. "I think you got a bad part". I wonder if I would get my money back from Autozone...
they'll give you a refund, just tell them it only works on high speed now. also, i forgot to mention, the 2 and 4 door transistors are different...don't ask why, cuz i don't know

p.s. good news is your wife is probably right, bad news is, she'll never let you forget it ;P

Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 AM

Haha! Thanks Jeff. I'll give that a shot today. Take the sketchy one back to Autozone and head over to Honda. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: Confirmed fix - Blower motor working strangely