General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating a '93 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:26 PM
bds34
Unregistered
Default Contemplating a '93 Accord

Greetings to all... I'm hoping it's acceptable to post this note in this category, as I'm seeking some input.

I have an opportunity to pick up a '93 Accord to replace a 1985 Toyota Camry. This is primarily a commuting car, about 40 miles of interstate driving per day. I have no prior experience owning Hondas and was wondering what sort of luck people have had with this generation as far as reliability, ease of working on them yourself, etc. Also, if there's any particular issue with this generation that I should check out before I buy.

Were I to pick this car up, I would probably frequent this board when issues crop up, and it does appear there's quite a bit of feedback to folks who have problems, so I'm glad to see that.

I appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

Brian

Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Contemplating a '93 Accord

Welcome!

Check for rust in rear wheel arches.

Verify timing belt has been changed (every 90k miles) or be prepared for the expense.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Sti..._128656/tm.htm

Old 08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I would check that the front brake rotors are in good shape. They are a PIA to replace and expensive to have done at a shop. Honda didn't change the setup until the 98 accords.

Also check all suspension boots (upper and lower ball joints, tie-rod ends), CV Boot. If they are torn, you can replace them easily.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Always a good idea to drive the car for at least 15 minutes and reach highway speeds. Notice the transmission shifts. Any rpm flare during shifts could mean a trans repair in near future. My 94 EX has 225K miles and still shifts crisply, so high mileage is not the problem, it's how well the car was maintained.

Check AC system carefully, if this is something you want to work well. It's expensive to pay for repairs. Here in Houston, I would prefer to lose almost anything but my AC.

good luck

Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 AM

also make sure there are no electrical gremlins lurking about.