General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant getting my oil (milkshake)

Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Question Coolant getting my oil (milkshake)

New to honda with over 30 years of mechanical experience. I just bought a 99 accord with the 2.3 VTEC 4 cyl. It had no compression in #3 cyl. I pulled and didn't find anything wrong there but decided to put a rebuilt head on it anyway. I also put new rings and rod bearings. Put it back together and it purs like a kitten. The PROBLEM - I am now getting water in my oil. Less than 5 minutes and I have milkshake. I initially thought maybe a faulty new head gasket and the possibility of faulty torque and tightening as I didn't clean out the bolt holes very well. So, bought the new head gasket, cleaned the holes meticulously, tested each hole to make sure I didn't create a crach in the block, all tested good. Got it all back together and the exact same problem. I did use new head bolts as well as replaced all belts, pulleys and waterpump while I had it apart. I am now considering having the head resurfaced and pressure tested, even thought it is a freshly rebuilt head. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Greatly appreciated...

Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Perhaps the block wasn't flat enough?

Attached Thumbnails Coolant getting my oil (milkshake)-block-flatness-check.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Compression tested with the new head?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 AM

Didn't check that considering it was fine before I took the old head off. I am currently removing the head once again. Will check block when I get it off and will be resurfacing the head also as well as another pressure test.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by live2rice
Compression tested with the new head?
No, I didn't. It ran so good with a notable difference that I didn't think that wopuld be necessary. Once I get it back together this time, I will if needed. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM

coolant in the crankcase is classic blown headgasket.

You asked for suggestions so here are my suggestions.

If you didn't have that problem before the valve job, then it is highly likely you did somthing wrong on rebuild.

Double check your headgasket direction... line up the holes in the block/gasket and head/gasket.

AND.. have the head resurfaced.

oh.. and while you have it off.. and before they resurface it, have them check for cracks/leaking.... maybe by a slim chance, it was cracked and didn't leak until you removed it and the crack opened up and now it's leaking... but that would be extreamly rare..

If you can, Get a second set of experenced eyes on the bare engine before placing the head back on. maybe even pay a tech at a shop to come out and "look" or help you?

Good luck! let us know you find...

Brian B

Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM

Brian,
Thank you for your suggestions. This is where I am right now. I'll finish removing the head tonight. Taking it to machine shop in the morning to have head resurfaced the pressure tested again. Upon re-installation, I will be using a new head gasket ordered from honda which is a "no leak" gasket per manufacturer. Will let you know the results. Thanks again.

Last edited by stlrydn1; 01-25-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 PM

It's been a few days.. any luck?

Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 PM

OK, so I had the head re-surfaced and pressure tested, again. I went with one of the two head gaskets that Honda offers, (No leak gasket) supposedly. I put it all together and put antifreeze only in it, no oil. I added pressure to the radiator with pressure tester and within 1 minute, I have antifreeze running out of the oil drain hole in the pan.

Is there anywhere in the intake or other components that water could be crossing over?

This is really frustrating and I'm about to go with a JDM Import motor.

Any suggestions?????

Thank you...

Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Checked if block is flat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant getting my oil (milkshake)