General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant Overflow Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by halcyon
not to be rude but do you know what the head temperature parameters are for a healthy engine using IFR?
Must have missed this question, sorry to the OP. Just me and my IFR reader, around 210 the fans kick on. That is on the head and on the t-stat housing _BEFORE the stat. At the base of thermo a, I get around 210 and the fans kick on. So, an old car and a ~$20 IFR reader and the factory says 196....I call it a day.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Can't do a leakdown without a compressor. O'Reilly auto parts stores in my area loan out compression testers that are easily disassembled and reassembled. Keep in mind that my car did not overheat if was filled with coolant and bled, even with a bad HG, so I think you and everyone else is right in suspecting a flaky T-stat. I suggested before and at the risk of sounding like a whiner I'll repeat: temporarily run the car without a T-stat to rule it out as being a problem. That way there's no question about it constricting coolant flow
I can easily get a compression tester, many parts stores in my area loan it, that's how I tested the compression few months ago. I will be receiving the Honda OEM t-stat this week, going to replace it on the weekend. Hope it will resolve the issue

I understand your point of view for no t-stat, but let me try the Honda OEM one, if car will still show the same overheating, then no t-stat is another option to try, thanks so much for all your help and cooperation.

Did you or someone else replace the temperature switch on the thermostat housing?
I have replaced both A/B switches(one before t-stat and one below upper radiator hose)

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Please remember to post your results . I'm following this thread because I have literally the same thing going on with my 2000 Accord. I never cared to mess with it until it got hot down here in Mississippi - now it tries to overheat in traffic and I have to crank the heat on full blast to get the temp back down. I have just begun to do simple tests to determine my problem, but it appears you have already done lots of diagnosis on yours. I'd rather slap on a cheap tstat than spend all the time you spent testing haha. Thanks for all of your posts!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
Please remember to post your results . I'm following this thread because I have literally the same thing going on with my 2000 Accord. I never cared to mess with it until it got hot down here in Mississippi - now it tries to overheat in traffic and I have to crank the heat on full blast to get the temp back down. I have just begun to do simple tests to determine my problem, but it appears you have already done lots of diagnosis on yours. I'd rather slap on a cheap tstat than spend all the time you spent testing haha. Thanks for all of your posts!
I will definitely post the results and outcome.

My biggest fear is, if the new OEM t-stat did not resolve the issue, I bet would be pulling my hair

To tell you the truth, am really looking forward to the new t-stat and the outcome, because I am literally getting sick and tired of it

Will keep you guys posted and thanks so much for all the help, cooperation and advices

Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

If the temperature gauge goes a bit above 50%, then the fans come on & bring the temperature back down within 40-50 seconds, I'd say that's GOOD.

Over quite a few HondAcuras, my experience has always been that the fans don't come on until the temperature gauge gets up to 55% or 60%. You don't want it to get to 85% or 95%.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If the temperature gauge goes a bit above 50%, then the fans come on & bring the temperature back down within 40-50 seconds, I'd say that's GOOD.

Over quite a few HondAcuras, my experience has always been that the fans don't come on until the temperature gauge gets up to 55% or 60%. You don't want it to get to 85% or 95%.
It's very good and nice to hear from you as well

Thanks for chiming in, actually as posted earlier Fans do come, but sometimes gauge climb to 80% or maybe 90%, as you can see in the posted pictures.

I have received the Honda OEM T-stat yesterday, going to pressure test first and then install it over the weekend.

Will post back the results, as its DRIVING me crazy

Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I pressure tested the cooling system(via Radiator), pumped it to nearly 16-17 psi, it dropped to 15/15.5 in nearly 2-2.5 hrs, is it a problem?

Question, lil bit/dripping of coolant from waterpump peahole is normal or not?

Also, I have replaced the T-stat with the Honda OEM part today. Started the car from cold start, ran it for nearly 40-45 min while car was idling, no FANS, no overheating and gauge was dead on!

Going to post the results back in 2-3 days since car needs an alignment(did tie rods).

Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 PM

I'm glad the tstat appears to have fixed your problem. I also am glad you posted your results.
I'm 90% sure my water pump drips a little bit too. There is never a wet spot under the car, but when I get under there to change my oil I sometimes see a droplet of coolant trying to drip from the pump. I don't know if it is ok or not though.
FYI: my overflow tank was right on the Min mark and I filled it to the max mark and it appears to have remedied my overheating problem. I'm about 10k miles away from having to change my timing belt and water pump for the second time, so I'm not as worried about the water pump right now since I'm about to put a new one on. Hopefully someone that knows more than me can answer your other questions.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Need Help and Advice

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
I'm glad the tstat appears to have fixed your problem. I also am glad you posted your results.
Thanks so much for all the help and support but the issue has not been solved

Car started to Overheat again and gauge was 3/4 or at 80% towards the Hot region

Fans are coming, even when I turned the car off, fan continue to ran for nearly 5-10mins

It's a complete STOCK car and have no Idea and clue what else to look and check for, since now I am running OEM HONDA T-stat.

Please help and advice what else should I check before I toast the engine

I am completely LOST and STUMPED

Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Now I am officially pulling my hair

Today in the morning I drove the car for 1-1.25 hrs in stop and go traffic, mostly my speed was 20-40 mph, HEATER was on Full BLAST with re-circulate OFF and car did not overheat at all, gauge didn't move, not even once!

It was at that point, where it is supposed to be.

Any input, help and advice?

Quick Reply: Coolant Overflow Tank