General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant splashing from radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Roader
X2. If your leak goes away and your car is no longer overheating, then all's good, right?
I'll try it. It only overheats when I go on the highway or over about 60 mph, it then starts overheating when I get back to the city at a stop light, but my AC wasn't working then I got it fixed and only since then I've had these problems with overheating, but even when it wasn't overheating the radiator was dry, I'm confused.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

When it overheats at idle after a highway run it's because the coolant it low. Typically when that happens you can rev the engine in neutral and the temp gauge will drop. I'm guessing that at idle, and with low coolant, the water pump isn't putting out enough volume to keep the temp sensor bathed in coolant. The sensor is surrounded by hot air and it shows on the gauge. Rev the engine and the water pump kicks out enough coolant to cover the sensor.

I've had this happen. I had no external coolant leaks, no water in the oil, no white exhaust. And a leakdown test showed a bad head gasket. But you found an external leak today. That could be the sole problem with it and now that it's fixed it might be just fine. As Shipo said, drive it to find out.