General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of '02 transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Cost of '02 transmission rebuild

My 4-cylinder 2002 Accord is going to need a transmission rebuild. It's not covered by any extended warranty related to the 1998 - 2002 transmission problems. Cottman has quoted me $1858 plus tax for a complete rebuild.

Trying to determine if this is a good rate. Has anyone else had this done? What was the cost?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Default RE: Cost of '02 transmission rebuild

Auto or manual? depending on what one, an auto transmission your definatly better off buying a used one and putting it in, judging by the price its probally a manual, you may want to check for a used one from a junk yard would be cheaper, may not last another 200k but it should be fine, most junk yards carry warranties, should have clutch replaced as well since their already in there....

Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My mistake for not clarifying. It's an automatic. Honda wants to replace it with a brand new Honda transmission, for $2895. Cottman will rebuild it for $1858. I have someone else giving me a quote tomorrow.

I'm just trying to find out what it should be costing me, so I can know if I'm getting a decent deal.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Go to Auto Zone . Com and check out there website prices on the Transmissions..I believe they have a three year warranty on theirs..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 PM

do the honda one, they will either replace it with a remanufactured unit which has i belive a 60k warranty or something like that, or they are putting in a used one, for that price its probally remanufactured from honda, dont have someone else rebuild it. you'll just have problems again. Go junk yard or oem, save the hastle of rebuilds...junk yards will most likely have a 60-100 day warranty.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I checked Autozone, and a new transmission through them was going to be $1700. I have no one I know who will install it for me, and I can't do it myself. The salvage yard in our area wants $1800 to replace it with a Honda transmission from an '02 with 60,000 miles and offers a 90 day warranty. Aamco wants $2000 to rebuild it, and Honda wants almost $3000 to replace it.

I'm leaning heavily toward rebuilding it at Cottman right now, since that's the most reasonable, and I'm not certain how much longer I'm going to keep this car.

Any other suggestions are most welcome! It will be about 2 weeks before I can afford to do this.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:54 PM

Hey, I realize that this is an old post but I thought I would share my experience for others. I just squeeked in under warranty 2 years ago at 109K. My local dealer replaced my trans with a honda reman and told me it has 3/36K warranty on it. Well, 39K later it is broken again. This is my wife's car, not mine, not my teen kids, she drives pretty normal. So I take it back to honda and they just called saying that the trans is bad again and it is NOT under warranty. No warranty you say, yes, no warranty....because the trans was free last time so it only has 1 year/12K warranty on it like any other honda part. They are also saying that it is the exact same prob that happened last time. Something about fluid leaking past the bearing and seals or some such crap. So, before you spend your hard earned money on a trans, just consider that it may be doing it again in 39K miles!!!!! Why can't one of the most advanced car makers on the planet build a trans that will go more than 40K???? Whats up with that? This may well turn me in to a toyota man.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM
dvpatel
Unregistered

If you think 39K is bad, how about 8414 miles? I got my 2001's tranny replaced for free June 2008. It started slipping about 3 weeks ago suddenly. It was fine one day and slipping the next day. Took it in. Honda has made a "generous" offer of $1,000 towards the total bill of $2,700. So, in 14 months and 8,414 miles, Honda seems to think its fair for me to spend $1,700 on a yet another tranny.

Though I am thrilled by Honda's "generosity" I don't think I can justify the $1,700 on a 8,414 mile tranny. So, odds are that I won't be getting it fixed but rather trading it in and obviously it won't be getting traded in for a Honda.

Just thought I'd register and throw this feedback out there. Car only has 76K on the clock.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Arrow Hi Member

Thanks for the bit of information..Honda just doesn't want any more of your business is what it sounds like...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails  Cost of '02 transmission rebuild-copygivemy-countrybacksml.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 AM

WOW, that is terrible. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I just can't believe one of my favorite car companies is treating us this way. Good luck finding a new one. We are trading our as well.

Chad

Quick Reply: Cost of '02 transmission rebuild